Sunday, July 7, 2013

Saving The Garden From Itself

The wild in the wild cultivated gardens is just that, wild. It's dominance and influence on the garden can not be understated. There are times when I stroll the garden and all I see are weeds and chaos. My maintenance gardener self cries out in despair. This could be a well tended garden, if only....





















So it is a near miracle, the transformative effect that weed whacking the paths has on the garden. All of a sudden a garden appears.





















A very thin line of order has a major impact. That tiny bit of negative space in the over abundant chaos instantaneously makes the cultivated plants more visible. What was hidden is now seen.





















Part of that effect must be a trick of perception. When the paths are thick and over grown it takes more concentration to see where you need to go. Once that obstacle is removed, when walking doesn't require so much of your attention, the planted plants can be seen and enjoyed.





















A thin line of negative space in the wild makes all the difference in the world.





















I learned that in my own garden last month. I can make the garden magically appear out of the wild by cutting a simple line of order through the exuberance.





















The wild cultivated garden is what it is. With limited time spent in a garden that could use a full time gardener, it is a miracle that there is a garden at all.





















I just need to remember that the next time my maintenance gardener self starts getting squirrelly it is time to break out the weed whacker. Now where is my new Troy Bilt weed whacker I won last month? I guess when she said a couple weeks she really meant several weeks.

1 comment:

LostRoses said...

The weed-whacked path is genius. Makes all the difference in the world.