Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Second Mowing

Our group of Master Gardener volunteers are coming by to case the joint tomorrow evening. I am ready for inspection. The sunny utility meadow and the garden becoming got their second mowing. Each successive mowing makes the paths and the Great Lawn more lawn like. The grasses begin to dominate in what is a very mixed species meadow.





















What little road shoulder there is along the scenic byway from the bottom of the property at my end, all the way up to the top and a bit into the next county got a weed whacking. I hope that helps with parking. Too many cars at once could prove to be interesting.





















The ridge top garden will get it's second path clearing on Thursday before the pre-tour for the garden owners and all the volunteers next Saturday. Then I will do the entire thing once more before the official tour on the 21st. It gets easier and takes less time every time I do it. The final mowing should be pretty quick and easy.

And I must say the wild cultivated gardens really look good when all the paths are freshly mowed. Yes, all sins are forgiven. A strong element of order does wonders to the chaos.



























All the hosta are looking good in the shade of the ridge top garden. After the phacelia finishes blooming is when Bulbarella starts to weed around all her hosta, astilbe and other plants in the garden. You don't mess with the phacelia when it is blooming. Fortunately it is a winter annual and once it is done blooming it pretty much disappears on its own.



























Something will be blooming in another two weeks, more so in the sunnier parts of the garden than in the shade.





















The Ox-Eye Daisy and Rose Campion have begun. They will be in bloom for the tour. Much more will have joined in by then.





















I learned last year that I need to weed whack the paths and the Great Lawn on a regular basis for my own sense of well being. Certainly not as often as I am doing it this month, but often enough that I feel like I actually do have a garden.

This tiny bit of order does wonders to help keep me calm.


7 comments:

Danna said...

It's looking wonderful...the paths are very clear when mowed. Your guests/visitors will love it. Just wondering if you have any Indian Pink (Spigelia marilandica)? Would love to see it in person in bloom. Am praying for nice weather on 21st.

Christopher C. NC said...

Danna I just bought two Indian Pink last week. One has buds and will likely be blooming then. They are both still rather small though.

Unknown said...

That's great! Just so I learn to recognize the plant. It is said to be great for attracting hummingbirds. I
want to have plants for them, blooming all summer.


Lisa at Greenbow said...

I think it is good for the plants to also have this mowing done. It makes them feel special and they grow up a storm. Enjoy your visitors. It appears that you and the garden are ready for them.

Lola said...

It all looks great. Love the fresh mowed paths. It makes it so neat looking.

Unknown said...

Wow. What a difference the mowed strips make. I'll have to tuck that idea away for future use. Sometimes I just shake my head that something so simple has to be pointed out to me (notice I said simple, not easy; I know what you have done is an amazing amount of hard work). Wish I could see the gardens! The renaissance man and I now have our own mountain property to start work on so I'll be paying closer attention to what works in your zone. Ours is 6b, what is yours? (I am in 7b currently).

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa all that weed whacking may be making the remaining plants feel threatened.

Lola this may be the tidiest the gardens have ever been.

Michele on the newest zone map 6a/b runs right through our property It's best to err on the 6a side. Elevation is even more critical. 3500 feet is a major winter weather line in the mountains. We are at 4000 feet so I prefer plants rated to zone 5 when possible.