Saturday, June 21, 2014

Tour Day

There was a steady flow all day long.





















But you can disperse a lot of people into the wild cultivated gardens and still have plenty elbow room. Most of them you won't even be able to see once they wander off.





















My rough guess is that about 150 people made their way to the low spot high on a North Carolina mountain top. Three of them were blog readers of mine from Kentucky, Tennessee and Florida/part time NC. It was also interesting to meet many of my near neighbors from the side roads off the scenic byway. It was a most enjoyable group of visitors. The compliments flowed.





















The Carolina Lupine got a lot of inquiries and there was some oohing an aahing over the Indian Pink. The shoulder high Yellow Flag Iris drew lots of questions. That bold foliage makes a statement even without any blooms. My glass bottle edging was also a big hit.





















There were wild flowers sprinkled generously throughout.





















I have helped plan and put on a number of garden tours. I have been on a number of garden tours. We have opened the gardens to smaller select groups a few times and had plenty of private visitors. This was my first official time as the garden owner on a real garden tour. Now I know what it really feels like from the other side and it feels fine.

I'm sure all my experience on the planning and touring side of this kind of event helped a great deal. For me it was a no stress event. I went about my regular business in the garden and let the Master Gardeners do all the real work of putting on the tour.





















And the tall flower meadow is no where close to a peak bloom. August into mid-September is really the best time I said to many.





















They came. They enjoyed. I think quite a few of them got an inkling of letting nature be the co-gardener.





















Then it was over. The last visitors left. They were near neighbors from off the scenic byway and he was Hawaiian. Aloha.





















Then the beasts came out from hiding. It was time for dinner.


7 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I bet your little beasties were saying to one another "whew, I am glad they are all gone. I wonder why he allowed so many Humans in our garden?". Always a pleasure to tour even if via the internet.

Rebecca said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Wondering how to manage a "peak time" tour....

So happy for all who got to wander the patheways of your "lush".

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa the amazing thing is it only takes Miss Collar about ten minutes to come out of hiding now instead of several hours.

Rebecca this end of things is easy. Ask and you shall receive.

beverly said...

Congrats! Sounds like everything went well. The photos look beautiful

Sallysmom said...

Glad to hear all went well. I bet your mom was ecstatic showing everything off.

FIGGY said...

I was going to be another reader from Knoxville..but i chickened out in making the drive over the mountain in rain. It was raining here. I so want to visit your garden and regret I missed the opportunity. I am hoping for a make up day. I would gladly contribute some money for you to buy more plants if you would allow me to visit your garden. How does one get in touch if this is doable? Mahalo

Christopher C. NC said...

Figgy you can email me at the name of the blog at gmail.com