Friday, December 19, 2014

A Trip To West Asheville

At the end of this summer I became the very part time assistant gardener at Fairegarden East. My own nemesis, Clematis virginiana was taking over the mostly native front bed. Though in this case I think it is the citified Clematis terniflora. The entire neighborhood is full of it. I'm talking about the clematis vine here. Help was requested.

I went to visit the garden today for it's winter/spring, chop down, cleanup.





















Most of the Panicum grass was still looking mighty fine so that was left until real spring before it gets cut down. All the other flowering native perennials were chopped down and a thin layer of mulch was added. Fairegarden East is now ready for its winter showing.





















Because I was so close by there was no reason not to stop and take a peak at Christopher Mello's always entertaining garden.





















It looks like Shovelhenge is getting thicker. I have made a few contributions to the installation. Working gardeners end up with broken shovels quite regularly.





















The work trucks are parked for the holidays.













Yes you may.



























Come in to see the caged cherubs.



















The Green Man is not looking to thrilled with winter. The solstice is upon us. The long ride of the barren time is here.


8 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is always fun to see the Mello Garden. Lucky you getting to see Fairegarden East.

Anonymous said...

Lucky Fairegarden East! It does look very good, Christopher. Those Panicums and winterberries make a fine combo. Thank you so much for agreeing to take me as a client.
xoxoxo
Frances

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa it is always nice to check out other gardens for ideas. I have pulled weeds in both of them now and I sure do feel blessed. The soil in Asheville is like cement. Makes weeding out my clematis in my soft soil seem easy.

My pleasure Frances. Gives me a reason to go to town. Yes the Panicum and Winterberry combo is gorgeous. That is why I couldn't bare to cut it all down now, knowing it would stand through the winter. All kinds of pedestrians walked by while I was there. Fairegarden East will inspire them.

Carol Michel said...

I saw Fairegarden East when it was newly planted. It's a lucky garden to have you helping to tend it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for helping Fairegarden East. Also, thanks ofr a look at Christopher Mello's gardens again. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Christopher!~~Dee

Christopher C. NC said...

Carol Fairegarden East has grown a bit since then despite the cement for soil. I'll do my best to help.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Dee. Frances is a bit occupied with things at the moment.

Unknown said...

Multiple pictures are not showing up in the feed. Yet, some are. Any suggestions?

Christopher C. NC said...

Hi Michele. I have noticed for months now Blogger blogs seem to be having photo issues. On my end I make sure they are loaded by opening them in a new window to their specific web address before I I post. If you have satellite internet like me, slow loading can also be a problem. That is all I know.