Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Caught Between A Rock And A Wet Place

The deconstruction for the pond rebuild continues. I found the spring, the source of all the wet and the water accumulating below the pond liner, beneath one of the waterfalls.

That huge boulder and the sluice cemented onto it were hidden below the ugly pile of rocks waterfall. The spring is coming from under that boulder. I think at one time it came through the sluice and fed the older, much larger pond that is no more.

Springs don't always stay put in these mountains. Now it is a problem for rebuilding the pond and falls. I need to turn it back into an asset.





















Some how I need to capture all that spring water, get it on top of a rubber liner and direct it into the pond. I can't have this amount of water beneath the liner because it causes the liner to bubble up.





















Dear St. Francis, do you cover ponds. There will be creatures living in it and using it. I could use an intercession. What I really need is an executive decision. In order to capture the spring, I am going to have to bust out some of the old stone work. Even then I can't promise I will be able to get all the water directed into the pond.

Once I go there it would be nice to turn the spring and the huge boulder into a nice feature instead of hiding it again. Doing that changes everything. It won't be what the Lady Of The House had in mind. I'd like to get approval before I start busting things up.





















The pond and adjoining stone patio are sitting in a stone bowl. The top of a fourth stone wall is level with the patio surface and is the edge of the former pond. Those walls circle around and join the huge boulder with the spring flowing out from under it.

Right now the spring is falling behind two of those walls and going wherever.





















I need to take a sledgehammer to the stonework below and on both sides of this boulder. I'm just not willing to do it until the Lady Of The House says yes.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! What a daunting project! Hope St. Francis helps you....using the natural spring and boulder in your design certainly makes sense. Can't wait to see the results.

beverly said...

Yipes! Talk about unexpected findings. Hope the lady of the house sees the reasoning. Seems as if you will have a busy winter, weather permitting....

Sallysmom said...

I'm glad it's you and not me trying to figure this out. But it will be wonderful to use a natural source for the water so if a dry period comes along, water will be added naturally and not by hose.

Christopher C. NC said...

This pond rebuild is turning into a bit of a pain, but it is fascinating finding these old ruins. I never liked the two opposite sided ugly pile of rocks waterfalls. I'm hoping she will let me greatly reduce the height of the one on the boulder spring side.