Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A Very Moist Bloom Day

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain. It's still raining. Harder. There is rain in the diagnosis until Tuesday. During the short hour and a half without rain, more of a mist, I got some editing done. At least the weeds come out easy.

There is more clematis on the slope below the roadside vegetable garden than I thought from my first round of editing. I started weeding before a lot of the clematis had leafed out enough for me to find it and rip it out by the roots. I have to content myself with the fact that the more I pull the less there is, even if I don't manage to get it all. Eventually.

Let's not linger on undesirable elements on Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. The garden is filling fast with fun blooming things.





















There are still plenty of blooming bulbs. The Muscari, Grape Hyacinth, are right by the steps to the front porch.





















The late blooming daffodils are now at peak. They are leaning a little from all this rain.





















Poor 'Negrita' hasn't had a decent sunny day to fully open since she has been up and ready.





















There are no mass waves of color yet, just a steady ebb towards green. To find colorful flowers you have to go for a stroll - with an umbrella.





















One of two Virginia Bluebells, Mertensia virginica, has a few blooms. These should grow very well here, but have been slow and unwilling to firmly establish themselves. Some bug finds them tasty and the moment they come up, they can get et up. It is hard to get a colony going when the one plant struggles to survive.




















I kept looking and looking for the past two weeks, sometimes twice a day. My persistence has been rewarded. The currently unknown lily that was transported last year from the deep forest into the garden is coming up. I suspect it is the Speckled Wood Lily, Clintonia umbellulata.






















Got Breeches? I do.





















The first of hundreds of Jack in the Pulpit in three different colors and multiple sizes is here.





















My new Mukdenia rossii 'Crimson Fans' is also in bloom. This is more a foliage plant though. The leaves will double in size and gets tinged in red.





















'Jane's last bits that made it through the minuses and freezes during initial swelling just might open into a fully formed and perfect magnolia blossom. Wouldn't that be nice.

For more Bloom Day nice be sure to visit international headquarters in Indianapolis, Indiana.


4 comments:

Lola said...

Rain or shine it still looks beautiful to me.

Unknown said...

A late comment....Your daffodils are still beautiful. I was having a"discussion with a friend...on the difference between daffodils and jonquils. Can you help us?

Christopher C. NC said...

I'm loving my garden Lola. It is beautiful to me too.

Christopher C. NC said...

Jonquils are just one of the divisions or classes of daffodils. They often have two or more flowers per stem.