Monday, April 13, 2015

Appearances

As the world turns green I roam the garden looking to see what will be returning this year. Coming back and looking good after the first winter is critical to establishment. Returning bigger after two winters is even better. After that I don't fret so much about new plants, unless it looks like crap barely clinging to life. Then it starts getting shifted into the "it's not gonna make up here" category.





















A new piece of art gifted from a friend made an appearance today. It was chosen specifically for the grotto in the upper dry stack stone wall in the basement patio. I really need to finish my basement patio.





















At the moment the Serviceberry is my one spring blooming tree. I have planted others, Dogwood, Redbud and Silverbell. They are too small to bloom. I even question whether Redbud flower buds are winter hardy at this elevation. The ones next door have never bloomed with any vigor.





















You can rely on the daffodils to come back.





















The phlox is slowly creeping.





















Even better it is setting seed and making new plants in the center strip of the driveway and on the slope where it is planted. I wouldn't mind having a full strip of blooming phlox in my driveway.



























Is this the missing painted trillium? I don't remember a trillium here before. I won't know this year because it isn't going to bloom. Trilliums come up with their flower buds pretty much full size when the leaves unfold.



























There are two of these Shredded Umbrella Leaf four feet apart. The other is just now breaking the surface. Who knows why one of them is ten days behind the other. At least it is returning.





















After the third winter, this yellow trillium is not only bigger, it has cloned itself full size. That is what I like to see when I am roaming the garden in early spring.





















My Ground Ivy, Glechoma hederacea, is in full purple bloom. This is a lawn weed people love to hate. I love it. What's not to like about that kind of mass color in early spring?





















The main herbaceous aspect of the garden is making its appearance. The time of vegetation is upon us.





















The Mayapple is massed at the border ready to invade. Then by mid-summer it will have faded away, waiting a full year before it next appears.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your phlox hillside in pic #5...
...did you plant them or did they "volunteer"? The ground cover in pic #12....more May Apple babies?

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Love all the may apples. Ours are up too making those little apples. Your garden is right on track it looks like with my area. Sometimes your garden is ahead and sometimes behind. I think it is interesting to see how it is going and to compare since I live in the Wabash Valley and you live on a mountain.

Christopher C. NC said...

I planted the phlox Dana. They have been seeding since then. The last twp pics are full of the rising Mayapple.

Lisa it is interesting how the mountains drop a zone 6 much further south. Sometimes I wonder though, when I am behind, if I sit on the border of 6a/5b.

Lola said...

It's all gorgeous. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Your ground ivy looks spectacular!