Saturday, April 4, 2015

Begin Edit

It was a bit cold and windy this morning after a night of lightning, thunder and rain. I had to wait until it warmed up before getting busy. I even had to put on some long underwear, otherwise I might not have wanted to go outside.

I like to do my hard core editing in April when things are just waking up and my tromping across the terrain leaves little impact. Then as the Lush gains momentum it hides any damage I might do.





















I went through the entire garden, then over the slope below the roadside vegetable garden and halfway through the sunny utility meadow to the stream, in five hours. It is a miracle. It used to take me days of editing over many weeks to get through the whole garden.

What this means is that my garden nemesis, the steel rooted Clematis virginiana is waning fast from my persistent efforts at eradication. My CobraHead Weeder deserves a great deal of credit for my success in this battle. It made an impossible task doable.

The impossible only took me four years.





















This was just the first editing sweep of course. I will keep at it. As things grow and turn green I will find more that needs removal. I'll just be able to cover more ground in less time.

My editing process is one of eliminating those plants I know I do not want. The rest is left to cover the ground. The rest is left to determine what the garden itself wants to be.

What will the Tall Flower Meadow be like this year? Between editing, planting and seed flinging, it won't be the same as last year.





















I'm in a bit of shock that I covered so much ground in five hours on my first round of hard core editing. It feels like a new chapter of Ku'ulei A'ina is beginning. I can pick a new annoying and useless weed to eliminate, leaving even more room for the plants I like.


3 comments:

Lola said...

Go for it. I did but now it looks like a jungle. Didn't recognize it. I was about to cry.

Christopher C. NC said...

You are talking about your old NC place? It doesn't take long at all for the forest to reclaim what is rightfully its own.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is a good thing you have persistence in your great big garden.