Thursday, August 27, 2015

Big Bugs

It was big and slow in a humming mass of activity. Well that is the biggest bumblebee I have ever seen. I should have known better. I looked it up and it is a carpenter bee. Damn bug. I have a forest full of untreated dead wood and they are drilling holes in the main beams of the front porch.

If you ever move to NC do not, I repeat, do not build a log cabin. That is prime carpenter bee habitat. Cement siding is the way to go.




















Plant it, edit for wild flowers and they will come. It is interesting that there are times of a tumultuous vibration of a myriad of creatures and at other times there is almost complete silence when nobody's there.





















I walk through a meadow and bugs fall off the plants and crawl on me. Seeds attach themselves. All kinds of fluff sticks and clings. I have to brush myself off when I enter an open space. There is nothing new about that. I am a gardener by trade. This time of year it just seems so many things are looking to hitch a ride.

Wider paths would solve that little problem if I managed to stay on them, but in some places there is no room for that.





















This time of year all that activity is at shoulder level and above. I lean in to pull a weed and come back out with burrs in my hair.





















I'm good with all that. The trade off in beauty is worth it. My red line is thorns. Gardy will not be scratched and maimed in his own garden.


7 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

That isn't too much to ask...no thorns.

Lola said...

The big bugs almost ate my porch off. know what you mean. Don't like thorns either.

matt said...

Make a paste of diatomaceous earth and a little water and fill the carpenter bees holes with it. Done!!!
Good luck and want you to know that I love your blog.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I have enough thorns at work.

Lola I have seen carpenter bees practically demolish log cabin homes.

Thanks Matt. I will give that a try.

Carol McKenzie said...

Thorns and poison ivy: the bane of my existence as a gardener. This year both evil entities believe they are winning the war, since I've been sidelined until I get my hip replaced. But come spring, armed with a new titanium joint and sharpened tools, I'll be back with a vengeance, and they will be banished from my sight.

Actually, they just get banished back to the neighbor's property line. I can still see them, but they're no longer my responsibility.

beverly said...

The genius of those red support columns just becomes more evident every year.

Christopher C. NC said...

Carol I have ample Poisoned Ivy. I was lucky to miss out on quantities of the multiflora rose. In some places it is thick. I can only hope all my joints hold out for a while longer.

Bev I love my red columns.