Sunday, August 7, 2016

Rumbly Thunder

The atmosphere is unsettled. We are under a flash flood watch until Tuesday morning. So far there has been a lot of rumbly thunder and passing black skies. There was a short moment of spit. That was it.

The Tall Flower Meadow was looking good this morning.





















If the radar is to be believed it has been raining for the last three hours one valley over. Hence the flash flood warning. The diagnosis suggested these thunderstorms could get stuck on the higher ridges dumping large amounts of water in concentrated locations.





















I hear thunder. I smell rain. The sky is black as can be. No water has come of it. I think it is stuck. A little rain would be nice. A flash flood worthy rain would be wrong. I want my ironweed to remain standing.




















This is a perilous time for the meadow. Big fat flower heads on Joe Pye add weight to tall skinny stems. Torrential downpours and strong wind gusts can wreak havoc. That would be wrong.





















Tall Ironweed and Joe Pye try to invade the roadside vegetable garden. Bare and fluffy mulched ground makes for excellent germination beds. My efforts to weed it out are half hearted.





















The meadow is a lot shorter on the other side of the driveway. Full sun and less fertile ground changes who germinates and lives.





















Yes there is a vegetable garden in there, a garden that could use some rain.





















All I got was a lot of rumbly thunder. Given a choice between torrential and possibly damaging rain and dry rumbly thunder with a perky meadow, I'll take the perky meadow.





















The Tall Flower Meadow was looking lovely this evening. I think it even has a hint more color than this morning. Now it just need to get through tomorrow's flash flood watch without getting squashed.


1 comment:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I hope you don't get the flash flood rain. We could use some rain here too. I have been watering. A chore I deplore.