Sunday, April 23, 2017

I Went To The Arboretum

In North Carolina you have to have a license to kill weeds and bugs for money. Unlicensed people can only kill their own weeds and bugs. Maintaining that license took me to the NC Arboretum last Friday for an all day class for continuing education credits. North Carolina's bug killers are educated.

After school I went for a quick stroll through the arboretum.





















Both of the main buildings had nice displays of potted tulips. In the land of voles that is a very good tulip strategy. It does not however give protection from squirrels.





















It has been several years since I was last there. Like any garden, there has been change and growth.





















Large art was featured through out the grounds. Sometimes I wish I had the budget for really big pieces. The flying bicycle will have to do in the meantime.





















The Quilt Garden is an ever changing feature.





















This butterfly pattern is done in pansies which leads me to think it will be changed out when the heat of summer kicks in.





















I need to plant more Fringe Trees in my work. Could I find a place for one in the wild cultivated gardens? I have a gift certificate to my favorite independent local nursery I am itching to spend.





















Their Dwarf Crested Iris were blooming. Mine are just waking up. I feel certain one big patch here provided winter comfort to the voles. It has gone missing. Damn varmints!!

To do: Start more colonies of the Dwarf Crested Iris. Abundance is also a good strategy in the land of voles.





















One of my favorite sculptures at the Arboretum. It was a nice way to end a slightly tedious day of sitting and learning a lot of the same old stuff.


1 comment:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I enjoyed our visit to this arb. It is nice seeing it again. Thanks for showing us things.