Sunday, April 23, 2017

Today's Big Activity

It started raining yesterday around seven in the evening and has not stopped yet. Twenty four hours of rain has been achieved. The mighty earth is doing a remarkable job of soaking it all up. There has been little runoff. That is doable in a steady rain compared to a torrential downpour.





















The beasts and I have been stuck inside. The front porch is about as far as we get.





















I know they say something about April showers. Was it that twenty four hours straight is annoying? It is. I do enjoy viewing the garden from above, but this is the season of editing. I need to be in the garden. The main editing window closes within a month.





















I managed one big chore during a period of drizzle. My wee weeping Japanese Maple has been growing lower and wider instead of taller and higher. Its branches were sitting on the rocks at the shore of Turd Blossom Lake and about to enter the water. It was time to give it some lifting support and encourage it to grow up.

I should have done this a couple of years ago before the stems hardened off, but it had a trying start in life and I wasn't sure it was going to live up here. The last two winters have been kind and it is starting to gain some heft from its start as a first year graft probably five years ago.

Yes, that is five years of growth on a Japanese Maple from a twig like beginning.





















Really I have been stuck inside all day. It has rained so long I folded the laundry and put it away. That's a lot of rain.


1 comment:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

All I can say is lucky you to get so much gentle rain. If you don't want it send it my way. We need it. I am having to water all the newly planted shrubs etc here. In spring I think that is not right. Nature should be watering here.