Friday, September 29, 2017

Count My Asters

Not yet.




















It truly is an aster wonderland out there right now. When I edit, I let the asters be. This is my reward.





















Let us begin. One.





















Two.





















Two B or a hybrid.





















Two C.





















You can see why I have issues with counting my asters. There is a lot of variety in Two.





















Three.





















One form of Four.




















Five.





















Six. Similar to one but with erect petals instead of drooping petals and a slightly different growth form.





















Seven.





















Eight.



























We could count Goldenrods too, but we won't.





















Just stick with my asters.





















Is it any wonder I can get confused by my asters?


5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I didn't realize there were so many asters. I have a couple of cultivars in my garden. Then the birds or wind planted a wildling in the front bed. I have no idea what kind it is. I should key it out. I almost pulled it this spring/summer because it got so big and weedy looking before it bloomed. I love the way it looks now with all the little white blooms on it. It screams welcome at the end of the drive.

Christopher C. NC said...

Asters are huge family Lisa. Lots of them. Your wildling might be a Frost Aster.

Gail said...

Gorgeousness. I love it. I never edit mine, they're not only beauties, but the last pollinator visitors need them.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Christopher.
I've been reading your blog for years. At one point, I went all the way back to the first I could see and read from the beginning.
You have taught me so much.
I, too, have a low point mountain home in the Cumberland/Appalachians. And I love your term for gardening naturally: editing.
I hope to see your place some day and meet you.
Keep up the wonderful work!
p

Christopher C. NC said...

Gail this is the time of year when the pollinators are most noticeable to me. Normally I ignore them, a necessity of sorts for a working gardener.

Hi Daisy. Visitors are always welcome. Taking everything into consideration and the resources available to us, editing makes the most sense for such a large garden on this mountain top.