Sunday, September 27, 2020

Fine Produce Happened

Let's walk up to the roadside.














No hurry. We can rubberneck along the way.










The grasses are in full bloom. The grasses have begun to self sow. It took a decade for that to happen. My suspicion is the first killing frosts are coming late enough now for them to make viable seed.














It's in there, one roadside vegetable garden where fine produce happens.














My vegetable garden is a little wild. I let fun things bloom and go to seed.














Row crops and feral crops mingle. I mostly just watch and harvest what happens.














This year we have a nice crop of beets.














I was surprised by the number of nice looking and nice sized feral parsnips.














There will be rainbow carrots.














There will be NO okra. The okra crop was a failure. There was no heat this year. There was hail and rain and lots of clouds. There are taters to dig and squashes already lining the shelves of the root cellar. Tomatoes were eaten. Then the tomatoes got the late blight in hurricane waters.














Then it rained some more and I went back inside.


2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Beets sound good. It looks like autumn has come to your garden. All that goldenrod.

Christopher C. NC said...

The beets are yummy. Boil slice and eat. Fall is definitely here. I have to bring the plants in this weekend and that is a problem. I have too many.