Sunday, November 15, 2020

November's Flower

I could have gone hunting for leftover asters and mums. I did have some fall blooming crocus last week. But in November I know where to look for fresh flowers. There is a hint in the right side edge of this picture.












The native Witch Hazel, Hamamelis virginiana, blooms now. It is the very last flower of the year. A cold front was incoming and the wind was blowing rough. I was lucky to get one picture in good focus. That is my flower for Bloom Day.














I did get a few gardening chores done this weekend before the wind blew in. The roadside vegetable garden was tidied. I still have beets, parsnips, carrots and potatoes to dig. That needs to coincide with an urge to cook which continues to prove problematic. Sister #2 keeps insisting I could handle boiling some water. It does seem reasonable enough.














Do dried flowers count? I left one big clump of ironweed standing just for the sculptural effect.














It's about to turn coldish for the week. The Witch Hazels will finish blooming. All will be ready for winter. There won't be any more fresh flowers out there until mid to late January when the snowdrops and hybrid Witch Hazels start to bloom. Yes in January.
December shall remain the one bloomless month of the year. Now I have a sign to remind me. They'll be back next year.


1 comment:

Arun Goyal said...

Winter can be felt at your place. Beautiful shots of nature..It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to gardening where you can share posts related to plants and flowers here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/11/garden-affair-happy-diwali.html