Sunday, January 31, 2021

Fifty Degree Interlude

There was not enough time














For the last snow to melt before a beautiful new snow began again. The diagnosis was looking quite snowy until Tuesday.














So the blue skies and fifty degrees that showed up today were a bit of a surprise. The witches were bound to be out.














Today at least, because the next round of big snow and cold is coming tonight.














The clouds have started to roll back in.














'Jelena' is always the first to bloom.














Getting such small flowers in focus can be a bit of a challenge at times.














It was a short visit. The cold was radiating up from the melt.














The sad truth is I have been having a long spell of very painful sciatica. Induced no doubt by all this isolation and sitting around motionless in the cold. Walking on lumpy sloped ground can be painful. My bones are getting old.














The doctor put me on a nerve agent, Gabapentin. We'll see how that goes. I am also taking physical therapy classes to learn some new stretching exercises. I need to move things around. On a routine. Regularly. With counts and reps and all that rot. My bones are getting old.


8 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I hear ya Christopher. I have to move too or I get all stove up as they say. It sounds like your area is liable to get a lot of snow. We continue to warm up during the day and then in the evening get little skiffs of snow. Daffodils are poking out of the ground. They will be sorry. The big cold is to descend here this coming week.

RobinL said...

I always say that aging is not for the weak! My problematic knees keep trying to stop me from gardening, but the latest gel injection is helping A LOT! We woke up to snow today too, but it’s melting quickly. As much as I’m looking forward to spring, I wouldn’t mind a few more pretty snowfalls before then.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa that phrase 'all stove up' has a deep echo in me, but I can't place it. I don't trust snow quantity suggestions much anymore. Best just to wait and see how much piles up.

RobinL there are days when I question my abilities to get old gracefully. I know for certain there will be more snow before it's over here in the mountains.

Gypsy said...

Sorry to hear about the sciatica. My Mom has flareups of sciatica so I can tell you that the Gabapentin with physical therapy will help. Try using a heating pad for momentary relief. The phrase “this weather is for the birds” came to mind the other day. Don’t know why as I really enjoy it all except for the forced confinement. However, it led me to wonder about the origin of the phrase (the play “The Birds” by Aristophanes if you’re curious) which took me down a twisting path on Wikipedia. Then my brain went into overload and I decided to read up on Witch Hazels. Plants are calming, and pictures of something blooming are enjoyable. Hope you find relief soon. Gypsy

Sallysmom said...

Feel better soon.

beverly said...

As I get older, and I am older than you, I realize that we are in a now-lifetime battle to keep what capabilities you have (otherwise known as use it or lose it). Thus I have started a home workout routine and balance exercises and every time I want to skip, I remind myself I will go straight downhill starting the day I skip!! Good luck with the sciatica; I believe the PT will help after awhile.

Christopher C. NC said...

That is what I am afraid of Beverly. I can't take this body for granted anymore. It just doesn't seem fair that someone as active as I am is being forced to exercise. It seems to be helping though.

beverly said...

Good news on the helping. As for not fair, that was exactly my thought process! I don't have the job you do but am out in the garden every day (in season). But clearly am building muscle and flexibility with the exercise - so you just keep on after the PT and you'll be in great shape!