Wednesday, January 27, 2021

The Witches Popped Out

Two days of seventy and some sun and the Witch Hazels launched into high bloom. All the flower buds were popping at once. The road to high bloom is usually a much longer process than that.














Winter and 'no melting for you' cold will be back in the morning. There will be some inches of snow.














So I went to go visit the cold witches on a warm afternoon.














See what I mean? Last time I looked there was but the faintest blush of an awakening.














This instantaneous full opening is a first.














All the witches are stirring.














On a brief warm winter afternoon.














A small division of bamboo has grown to become a clump. Surprisingly, I have never seen signs of deer dining on the bamboo.














Where snowdrops pop higher and grape hyacinth foliage gets eaten.














Next up more winter. The clouds are rolling in. Time to go back inside.


4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your witches are so much prettier than mine. It must be all that duff around them. I only have one left. The dogs have chewed on it, rabbits have eaten part of it. It has had a rough life. The blooms on it are nothing to get excited about. Maybe one day they will be nice.
70 is quite warm for this time of year. I am just happy to see sunshine today. It is melting the snow.

Christopher C. NC said...

I have been most pleased with the witch hazels. There are seven of the garden hybrids planted now and a nice grove of the native.

Gypsy said...

Good morning Christopher: Memories are such funny things. Your beautiful witch hazel reminded me of a visit to Bartram's Garden 15 years ago with my sister while attending the International Flower Show in Philadelphia. Sitting in a meadow of golden winter grass was a witch hazel with a bright orange/red flower that just glowed. I had forgotten about that experience. Thank you for encouraging that memory to the surface of my brain. Gypsy

Christopher C. NC said...

There will be a lot of the witch hazels showing up in the next month Gypsy. This is their time.