Sunday, July 18, 2021

The Other Lawn

While I was mowing the parking lot one evening last week it dawned on me that I have another lawn.














It is in the land of the dung piles, the overflow squash department.














Actually it is the intended house pad. The cozy cabin was built on the edge of the slope so that in the future another 2 bedroom house could be built. The septic to allow that is installed.














With each passing day that possibility gets more remote for me. Another house will have to be in someone else's future.














This large space has been morphing into a lawn. This much level ground should not be wasted on lawn. What to do with the house pad in the meantime? 














As one might imagine some gardening has happened down slope around the perimeters. All kinds of things came up when the hemlocks came down and I have been editing for what I like. Magnolia fraseri was a keeper and there are as many as a dozen.














A grove of Devil's Walking Stick, Aralia spinosa came up and I waived my no thorns rule. I may have planted a Dawn Redwood - not doing so well - Styrax, Japanese Snowbell and a taller Fargesia bamboo down in there as well. All that flat ground is surrounded by an extension of the wild cultivated gardens.














And in my decrepitude there is the notion of starting a little nursery and propagating plants to supplement my meager gubmint check. That is a possibility I could start right now. Then I thought of all the work involved to get that set up. On another day perhaps.


5 comments:

Gypsy said...

Good Morning Christopher: A seed of an idea can be an exciting moment. Contemplating a nursery and propagation area in the current dung pile is a marvelous idea for any number of reasons. Certainly something worth pursuing whether it comes to fruition or not. A gentle and consistent rain is falling on our neck of the woods. Being saved from dragging a hose around is always welcomed. Warm regards, Gypsy

Christopher C. NC said...

Gypsy I had a small nursery on Maui for many years. It was easy in a perfect greenhouse climate and something I know how to do. Here I will need some form of winter protection, probably a small cold frame style greenhouse. I just need to think about what I want to grow and design a layout of things for maximum production in what will be a micro-nursery.

Judith said...

I would come buy plants from you!

vickie said...

I would come, too.

Christopher C. NC said...

You people are a bunch of enablers.