Wednesday, June 15, 2022

June Bloom Day

June is the greenest month of the year when the plants are reaching full size well before many of them bloom. There are plenty of flowers about, but it is not like the big color bursts of spring. The summertime show starts in July.

We can start Bloom Day with Thermopsis caroliniana. It has done much better for me than Baptisia and has begun to gently self sow. That reminds me. A white baptisia I grew from seed is blooming for the first time. I need to go look at it.














Into the chartreuse Lush we wander.














Where the foliage can get mighty big, to see what flowers we may find.














The 'Black Gamecock' Louisiana Iris has started to flower in a week that can only be described as weirdly hot and humid without any rain. My body does not process that kind of hot very well anymore.














The glass is half cracked and the white Iris ensata grown from seedlings have become large blooming clumps. I should have just taken starts of the purple and lavender ones I wanted. Patience doesn't always work out.














The candle stick blooms of Bottlebrush Buckeye prepare to open.














Persicaria polymorpha in full bloom frames the Great lawn where the Louisiana iris named Clyde resides.














Clyde is blue and a sprig is going to go live in a vat of pond scum to multiply. I need more. Funny how that is with flowers. So if you need more, go to Bloom Day Headquarters for flowers from around the world.














I will be outside with Clyde.


3 comments:

Phillip Oliver said...

Beautiful!

Christopher C. NC said...

Thanks, Phillip. A touch different from your garden which is amazing.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Beautiful photos. Love the grasses, ferns, and of course the blooms.