Sunday, June 12, 2022

The Roadside Vegetable Garden For 2022

The future is in storable root crops, squash and dried beans. That is the theme of this year's roadside vegetable garden. The feral parsnips are in bloom.














The vegetable garden is fully planted on this 12th day of June. The cucumbers and squash went in today. I had two full flats of seedlings and was worried they wouldn't all fit in there. I managed to squash them all in. I even had one opening left for extra squash seeds.














There are four kind dry beans: Mississippi pink eye and California black eye peas, Black Turtle beans and Six Nation Iroquois. Beans are easy.
 













The peppers are still sitting there after almost a month. The tomatoes have perked up and are starting to grow. The abundant germination of beets and carrots is still a challenge. I tossed on some slug bait. Something is eating the sprouts.

The okra has germinated along with the dry beans. Now all it needs is some hot. We came close to 80 degrees today.














The feral parsnips and Meidiland roses are in bloom.














I hate roses. This was the only rose up here when I arrived that ever bloomed well and looked halfway decent. I found a rooted stem and transplanted it along my drive. It did so well, now there are more. One day I will surely curse that decision.

When the chicory blooms in the morning, the garden will be red, white and blue.


No comments: