Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Up To The Roadside Vegetable garden

Foxglove have established themselves on the slope along the driveway. They have been migrating downhill. I'd like them to wander back up. Self-sustaining populations are a goal in the wild cultivated gardens. I don't always get to pick where that happens.

I have been happy to see that the Angelica gigas has also sown itself about the garden. When the population starts increasing I will know the introduction was a success. 














Along the scenic byway, the grasses are growing tall and the chicory is getting ready to bloom.














The cucumbers and squashes will be ready for planting in the roadside vegetable garden this weekend. I went to tidy a bit to prepare for their arrival. The dried beans and okra have germinated. The carrots and beet sowing were mostly a failure. Something is eating the fresh spouts. The tomatoes and peppers are just sitting there. It has been three weeks since their planting. It is time to grow! The feral parsnips are in bloom.

Then I wandered back down to the Carrion Flower to take another whiff. The smell was faintly there. It was the scent of an earthy manure compost, a fragrance I know all too well.


No comments: