Sunday, September 4, 2022

A Walk With Angelica

The holiday weekend has been cloudy and windy with intermittent drizzle and rain. I have six clean windows. Very clean windows. I did the glass, screens, frames and tracks of the vinyl windows. They had a decade's worth of bugs and dirt and goo in them. It took about an hour per window to get them clean inside and out. Adjacent areas accidentally got cleaned in the tussle. It felt good to do some needed work on my own house for a change. I can see outside again.














My endurance for house cleaning is limited. It is very easy to lose interest and I can just naturally wander off.














And I knew the Angelica was in bloom.














At this point in the growing season, I have to resist going off the paths for editing. It is hard not to leave a trace in the tall flower meadow because the plants have become entwined. High bloom is here and in a few short weeks it will all be frozen. After that I can pull what I want, when I want, if I want.














I am content to mostly observe and take mental notes for future strolls. Cleaning three windows wore me out.














And I ponder.














The number of old friends I have reconnected with this year. Did he survive this plague it seems? People are checking in.














I have wandered to far off places, set down roots and planted many gardens. I am kama'aina.














That garden mana planted far away in place and time returns to a forest meadow, high on the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top.














Along the scenic byway














The wild child who returned to the woods













Has put down new roots and is tending his garden.


4 comments:

beverly said...

How many years in are you now, about 15? Or less. The garden looks beautiful. Although I don't like lawn in general, in your garden it provides a much needed 'negative space', as they seem to call it. And the rocks! Here on the coastal plain there are zero rocks so I am jealous. (yes I know, I am incorporating what I saw in a previous post, not just hallucinating!)

Christopher C. NC said...

Beverly, it is hard to believe I have been in NC for 15 years now. I wonder if I will make it to another 15? 2023 will mark my last year of full employment as a peasant gardener. Then I hope to spend more time working on my own house and making the gardens here even more beautiful before it is time to go.

RobinL said...

Clean windows can really change your outlook to sparkling, especially with a beloved garden to look out on.

Christopher C. NC said...

Robin I am loving the view from my clean windows. I should clean them every five years instead of ten.