Saturday, December 20, 2008

Corner Trim And Colors

Four out of six corners were trimmed in between rain showers and before the next big freeze arrives tomorrow. A really big freeze, like in 15 degrees more or less. Eeek!! The two corners on the back of the cabin furthest off the ground remain to be trimmed, one of them being the short section of loft wall corner.

The special order 3/4 inch thick Hardie board trim for all the windows has arrived. Perhaps I will go get that and trim the windows I can safely reach. I will need the scaffolding again. Those back corner trim boards can wait until I have the scaffolding.

One board at a time, in slow motion is what it feels like.



Putting on 13 foot 9 and 3/4 inch corner trim boards and getting the seams straight and tight might be easier than choosing a lipstick color though. The two color swatches below have the three previously chosen colors. Artichoke (gray) is the siding, deck, post and railing, and corner trim board color. Crafted White (pale yellow) is the main trim and window trim color. Waterloo (blue) is the door and loft window trim color.

The two front runners in the lipstick competition, the color for the porch handrail and the porch roof's framing that will show beneath the metal roof follow. Keep in mind that colors on computers are not true to life and can vary from one computer to the next. They are close though and the grouping of them does give an accurate feel for how they will work together.

The first and I think my favorite is Wildfire. I went looking for an orange tone and found this one with much more of a red tint in Valspar's Earth Elements line in the orange grouping. It really pops with all the other colors.



The idea was to move the tile color that will be inside the cabin to the outside. This tile is very close to what I will be looking for. I want something a smigen lighter and with a touch less marbling. It is very close to the color of my dirt.



The second runner up is Orange Glaze. To me it looks very much like the color of a pumpkin pie. It might be more in line with the tile color, but it just doesn't have the same pop that the Wildfire does.



All this color cipherin gots me thinking the Wildfire might also need to be the color of the living room walls. I planned to have a bold wall color. The inside wall color can just move right on to the outside in the porch roof's framing. That's an idea.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes to wildfire! I love it, and think the brighter is better, although on a large space sometimes that is too much. Maybe get a little of each and try them out on a board and stand it inside and out to see it with the light and against the tile. Your tile is nearly identicle to the tile in our addition, and lighter is better to make the small space feel larger. I agree completely with matching the cabin colors to the surroundings, especially the lovely clay dirt colors. They are calling for a low of 15 tonight here too. Yikes! Stay warm, my friend.
Frances

chuck b. said...

Picking the colors is always a toughie. You are certainly correct to have at least one boldly colored wall indoors and I like the idea of bringing in the color from outside. Very interesting.


Whatever will you blog about this time next year?

Anonymous said...

I really like your choice of colors. I too think that wildfire might work best. It does pop better.
I've heard of the awful cold that you are due to get. Bummer.
All looks good.
Stay warm.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher...love those colors, especially wildfire. Go Gators! :)

Christopher C. NC said...

Go Gators was mentioned in the orange and blue discussion, something I want to avoid. Wildfire with its red tone should avoid that.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Frances - Wildfire! And yes, please, let's avoid the Gators. Florida girl I may be, but I'm no Gator fan. :-)

lisa said...

I vote for Wildfire too...I think it will look amazing!