Friday, December 12, 2008

No Inspection For You - $50

It is a short walk down a scenic country road to the cozy cabin from the resident gardeners house. We will be neighbors when I move out, but not close neighbors. Even in the naked forest of winter it is difficult, if not largely impossible to see one house from the other.

A fresh coating of snow had covered the world while I slept. It was cold again. There was not much to do except wait inside where it was warm for the call from the inspector man so I could meet him down at the cozy cabin.



It must have snowed hard last night and snowed sideways. The north west facing side of the tree trunks were coated in snow thirty to forty feet up. The fresh white beauty belies the fury that must have accompanied this creation.



By 2:00 pm the call still hadn't come. I called them. Yes I was on the list.

At 3:00 pm I walked down to the cozy cabin again, afraid to step away from the phone to find a note card on the door this time. "Doors locked. $50 re-check fee."

I specifically told the man you need to call me before you come. The place is locked and I need to let you in. What is your number he asked.

I called them again. They don't have business phones with them, only radios. Blah yada blah yada blah. Blah. Yada.

I was right next door the whole time. #**^%##! He could've honked. He could've hollered.



I am scheduled again for Monday.

Then I stepped outside in the snow that has started again and slipped on the icy steps at the resident gardeners house from the melt and re-freeze of the day and landed on my upper okole. Good thing I was wearing several layers and a thick winter coat.

I am in a crabby mood now.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer. I agree he should have called, yelled or honked. Better even he should have checked next door where you were. We had some experience with the inspector when in N.C.
Good luck. Let us know.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is SO not funny. That ranks up there with the note left by our county water department threatening to turn off our water because we were not there when they wanted to change the meter - despite their failing to answer their phone or respond to our emails attempting to set up an appointment to have the meter changed. What is it about bureaucracy??!!! I would protest your fee - vigorously, but AFTER you pass inspection! (:

bev

Anonymous said...

Did this inspector just take a scenic tour of the beatiful countryside? What was he thinking?!! I bet he had his personal cellphone with him!!! I think next time you give him the address at the resident gardener's home and then walk him over.

Other than that .... I can't imagine having a lousy day with that gorgeous view! Your pictures are beautiful! Keep warm....

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Well spit fire. Those that be can sure make a person miserable and poor. Too bad you can't send them a bill for aggravation.

lisa said...

Why won't people effing LISTEN, eh? I'd be more than crabby...sounds like a nice way to make an extra $50 to me! >:(

lisa said...

Oh, and gorgeous pictures, BTW!! Your views are just breathtaking! I'm with bev-play nice until you get what YOU need for sure. (Ha, my word verif is "shnick"...sounds like a good name for the inspecter! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh man, what a bad day, and to fall too. I know how far it is from the cabin to the upper house, no way you could have seen him. The snow is beautiful but I don't blame you for being crabby. On Monday you might as well hang around down below, hope it is warmer.

Frances

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the troubles with not living in suburbia. I cannot get anyone to leave packages at my place. I can never make it to the post office. Ugh. Your post reminded me of this!

I know that it was a bad day - but boy were those images of the sideways snow just beautiful. You have landed yourself in quite a place, thick winter coat and all.

chuck b. said...

Oh, how really fucking aggravating. And these pictures are making me cold. Do you drink coffee?

Christopher C. NC said...

Obviously I was not ready for the inspection. I did not have a plan B for dealing with a bureauracracy. I should have left a note on the door! I'll get him tomorrow.