Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Other Camellias

The Thomas Center had a semi-abandoned period at some point in its history. There is a vague recollection of sneaking in and catching pigeons that lived in the attics.



Today it is fully restored and used by the city as offices and a cultural center.



Out at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens it is camellia season.



I looked for camellias that were different from my grandmother's.











A new pond has been constructed since my last visit. The flagstone bottom with river rock accents was intriguing.



Aloe arborescens was in bloom and I could hear the sandhill cranes out on the marshy Lake Kanapaha



There was a whole garden dedicated to camellias and azaleas.





It was feeling a bit like daffodil season further north.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher, you sound so relaxed and happy, and I can't blame you, wandering around such a wonderful place, notwithstanding the odd memory of aviary catching! May you and your family have a wonderful new year and may 2009 be your best year ever. I know it will be for you will be in a completed cozy cabin on your own property!
Frances

Christopher C. NC said...

Thank you Frances. I sure expect to be in my cozy cabin on New Years Eve of 2010. Happy New Year to you, the hottest garden blogger on the net!

Anonymous said...

Haha, you found an area of Gainesville my husband (a 1970 UF alum) didn't recognize! He thought he knew everything! Beauteous camellias. And go Gators Jan 8!
(ps he's oldderr than me)

bev

chuck b. said...

It seems strange to me that Florida has camellias right now while California does not. I guess it's even a little bit strange that Florida has camellias at all. I thought they liked cool weather. Anyway, you found a very diverse group. It's a wonderful, florific genus.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Anonymous said...

Christopher it seems that you are having a wonderful time. I've passed by some of the places in the pics quite a few times. G'ville is a nice town & it's only 26 miles from me.
I would like to take this time to wish you & yours a HAPPY & PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR.
Be safe.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

A lovely garden of camillias Christopher.

lisa said...

The camellias are lovely, but that aloe knocks my socks off! :)