Friday, January 9, 2009

Sunny Day Dawning



This could be my big chance to get a little work done on the cozy cabin. I was tiring of looking at seed catalogs for this year's vegetable garden. They are as thick as novels and have far too many choices. I got through Johnny's Selected Seeds without making any choices and dreamed a little through Plant Delights new spring issue. I'm sorry Tony, but I can't afford any of that.



Of course it was noon before it had thawed enough (finished my coffee) so I could consider actually working. I managed to cut and paint the trim boards for the two front windows on the porch. Unlike real wood that is never the dimensions it is sold as, this Hardie Trim, cement fiber board is, honest to goodness, three quarters of an inch thick. It has to fit in a three quarter inch gap between the wall and the molding of the windows. It is going to be a very tight fit. I thought I would just do a couple of them to see how this goes before I started cutting all the boards. You never know when an adjustment in the plan will be required.



If I was doing this for a living I would be fired. That is all I got done today. Did you know that paint is really lumpy when it is cold? It still spreads and smooths out ok with enough strokes of the brush.



A sunny day setting with the weather diagnosis suggesting there may be a window of opportunity in the morning to attached this window trim to the cabin before it starts raining or snowing or blowing again.

5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I thought it had to be 70F to paint. Hmm There I go to thinking again. I also think you did enough what with the weather like it is.

Love those sky photos.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa when the thought entered my head that I might should maybe read the labeling on the can of paint, I dispensed with it quickly and keep the paint can in the sun. It was almost 50 degrees after all.

Anonymous said...

Christopher,
Those sky photos are unreal! Do you touch up your pictures? Sometimes I see a gorgeous sky, but when I take a picture, I can't capture it as beautiful as it looks. Your view photos are always gorgeous! Hoping tomorrow is a dry, warm and sunny day for you.

chuck b. said...

You may want to wait a few days before buying vegetable seeds... a late Christmas present is working its way to you even now.

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria I have found that the angle of the lens is critical to capturing the color in the sky. If I point it straight out it tends to get too much light and the color is bleached out. It is best to point the lens slightly upwards. I often have to find a happy medium upwards angle in order to get the mountains in the bottom of the picture and get the best color.

I do touch up the pictures I suppose. I use the auto adjust first. If I like the change I'll keep it, if not I'll try the manual adjust. The three things you can adjust are light/dark ie the contrast, the shadowing, more or less of it and highlight adjustment. I don't use the highlight much and only move the contrast and shadow one or two notches at most.

Sweet Chuck! I should probably inventory the seeds I still have before I order as well.