Thursday, January 1, 2009

Tree Trunk Series

Another ring of life can be counted.



Another layer of crusty bark rises to the surface.



A few warts erupt.



A little wound of the flesh prepares to heal.



The signs of strain from an expanding girth attempt to blend in.



Hitch hikers clamber on board.



Some of them looking for a free lunch.



Ephemeral beauty surrounds when looking close enough.



Flaky things happen.



Is a smooth and colorful surface the preferred choice?



The varieties of life.

Happy New Year from a forest in North Florida, the San Felasco Hammock.

7 comments:

Les said...

Sometimes tree trunks can be more interesting than any flower. From the San Felasco site I learned that bandits are not permitted in the wilderness area, and that I would not want to swim in a lake named Itchy Bottom.

Anonymous said...

Neat biking adventure.

Jon said...

Christopher,
Thanks for yet another very interesting post filled with your fine photos. I find tree bark very fascinating also...I particulary like the sycamores here this time of year with their peeling brown bark revealing bright white splotches.
Here's hoping you have a Happy New Year and all the best in 2009.

Jon at Mississippi Garden

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Happy New Year to you too Christopher and I hope you don't get a sunburn while in FL.

Christopher C. NC said...

One of the best things about these trees is that there were so many really big ones in this forest.

Happy New Year you all.

Anonymous said...

Christopher,those are some lovely pics. Your post is very informative. I especially like the link to the gardens. I've never been there but sure would like to go. Maybe one day I can get Young'un to take me. Maybe I can rent a wheel chair to make it a little easier.
I too like the bark on trees as it sometimes presents variations of patterns.

lisa said...

I really like bark, and I think it's the best part of many trees, Amur Cherries especially.