Thursday, September 24, 2009

Complex Clouds

A twenty year sojourn in the desert may have skewed my thinking a bit. I thought it rained a lot when there was a drought the last two years. Granted my elevation and the vagaries of mountain terrain just guarantee there will be more rain and clouds up here than down below.

Now, in this year of the monsoon, the clouds have become community members that I walk among. Many mornings find them sleeping in the valley down below.



They are often late risers, waiting until the sun is high in the sky to get moving. The clear sky above promised a respite from the monsoon rains. It would be a good day to paint the high reaches of the cozy cabin while the scaffolding is still here.

So I painted and caulked a seam around the corner that had not already been done. The previous day's caulk was not quite dry so I painted around that for now.



The sky got darker as the day moved on. Tall billowing black heads of clouds passed by. The painting ended to give it time to dry in case the monsoon decided to return. Back inside the cabin the insulation in the roof was near complete. I was short two batts of R-38 insulation. Poop. So close to having the entire inside insulation completed.

The framing to box in and insulate the water and sewer lines beneath the cabin was cut and put together. Now the entire sky is ominous and black. One piece of the framing is attached beneath the cabin and it commences to pour.

A third of an inch falls in half an hour and the hard rain moves on. The clouds drag their feet across the mountain top in a Swiss cheese fog. The monsoon hesitates sputtering rain.



The diagnosis is for more.



More clouds, more rain, more. I will walk among them doing what can be done.

The extended diagnosis looks sunny for next week. Everything that needs doing with scaffolding will hopefully get done.

7 comments:

Lola said...

Complex is right. Mtns look at tho they are just hanging in mid air. Rain is a nuisance but vital & I think it's pretty also. Sitting under some kind of shelter watching it rain, so relaxing. I did it lots of times.
Very lovely shot in last pic.
Gads, just short a mite on insulation for Cozy Cabin. Waiting to see how the under study will look.
Lower patio is a very good spot to sit, contemplate & dream. Oh the dreams one could conjure up.

chuck b. said...

Are you going to chop down that tree that's wrecking your view of the clouds? Kidding! I've always kinda wanted to set up scaffolding. Looks like big metal Tinkertoys.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your walk amongst the clouds looks calm and cool. I think it is mesmerizing to watch the clouds roll up and down mountains. They make the mountains come alive.

Frances said...

Don't you wish Chuck could help you with that scaffolding? It seems like a job that would require more hands, or is the contractor helping? I am sure you had more rain than even Asheville during the drought, and way more than we did on your mountain. I love the idea of swiss cheese clouds, but hope you are able to be done with the outside work soon. Too bad about being short the insulation, always something. :-)
Frances

Anonymous said...

I never, ever get tired of your photos of the mountains. Lucky you.

bev

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I have sat on the front porch more often in this rain listening to the sound on the metal roof.

As a matter of fact Chuck, that tree and another are on my hit list. Scaffolding is heavy, but easy to put up. It takes a rope to raise it up high.

Lisa it is trippy to watch clouds rise out of the valley below me.

Frances I am all alone at the moment. Chuck's extra few inches in height could be handy in these situations where I am stretching to reach things.

Bev, I'm certainly not tired of this view either.

Annie in Austin said...

For a short time I'd enjoy being able to float in the clouds without having to deal with airports and Dramamine - know it could be a little claustrophobic after a while, Christopher.

Too bad about the insulation shortage... if you lived in a more crowded place like Austin you could try to find someone else in the same boat on Craigslist. But with the distances involved and all those mountains, you'd probably spend more in gasoline that you'd save by sharing.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose