Thursday, September 10, 2009

Roof Bits

One front ridgecap is firmly and permanently sealed and attached. Next time it snows sideways or upside down there should not be any snow that gets inside to the front storage loft. The scaffolding was dismantled and taken downhill for the climb up the long side of the cozy cabin. There was one other little project to attend to before the next round of siding commences.



Close, but not quite. The mini meter roof is not to my satisfaction. I went with the regular paint scheme of the Crafted White, light yellow trim and red framing underneath. The yellow stinks and calls to much attention to the meter. I will paint it the Artichoke gray.

A bead of caulk where the metal roof meets the siding will give the final seal, but it worked just fine keeping the rain off the meter that began right as I was putting the screws through the roof. But I think I am going to lower the whole mini meter roof about five inches first for just a bit more hiding of the meter. It won't be much of a deal to take the metal roof off, repaint it and put it back on and together again.



I inch closer to the day when more time can be devoted to turning a wild space civilized. The question could be asked, Why? when it is pretty pleasing as is. The best answer I have is that as a gardener I want more; more plants, more diversity, more flowers, more seasonal and visual interest, more use, more production. I want more from this space.



I will at least have to design around the existing location of this Ironweed. I want more of them and the first attempt at transplanting one was a failure. Until I learn how, this one stays put. It could just be fine right where it is anyway.

6 comments:

Frances said...

Hi Christopher, you are just meeting people and learning about your land to beat the band! Do be careful on that scaffolding too. At last, at last, almost. I loved the invisible cow stories. Around these parts too, it is considered good manners to tell a tale or two when talking to someone. As for that ironweed, I have had the best luck collecting seed mid winter and broadcasting it on open ground. The seedlings are distinctive and can be moved when small. I have not been able to divide a mature plant with success.
The cozy cabin looks even more cozy with the siding on. :-)
Frances

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

Christopher, as gardeners don't we always want more. One of the joys of gardening is the anticipation of next year. I think the only time that you don't want more, is when you are dead.

Lola said...

Wheeeew, glad that little project is done. Yep, no snow inside.
Good idea on the gray for the mini. I would imagine all 1 color would help minimize the object.
Must have more of the Iron weed. I think it is so pretty.
Not long till more time can be spent working out where to put what plant where. Nice, I do that quite often even in my tiny place.
I imagine the inside of the Cozy Cabin will not take so long. TV, comfy chair, microwave, aawww heaven.
Then a cow wonders down the drive!!!!

Siria said...

Wow...your blog has a new look. Fresh new change, .... it looks nice, although I liked the black background too. Glad you are getting all these details way up high done in time for the cold winter weather. That cozy cabin will be all ready for inside touches very soon!

Pam said...

Christopher, your place looks great - with the rock wall and the setting - how nice! That ironweed is so nice - interesting how it was difficult to transplant (does it do well from seed? I really don't know - but that might be the way to go).

Jane said...

I thought artichokes were green. :)
Nice work.