Friday, September 4, 2009

Meadow More

You know the garden photographers that have their pictures appear in the fancy gardening magazines have a fluffer who runs through the garden before hand and cuts out every bit of brown and anything with the slightest imperfection. I don't have a fluffer.

It can be tough just to frame a shot in the sunny utility meadow to get rid of the brown and imperfections. Then distractions in the background need to be eliminated if possible. I try my best to capture what the mind's eye sees in a light that shows it off. I got two pleasing shots today out of about twenty five.



This one I think I even like. I started wandering around to view the utility meadow from different angles.



Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus' is the grass with the tall reddish purple hued plumes in the back. I would say the top of the plumes are around nine feet high and this grass will stand all winter long.

8 comments:

Lola said...

Fantastic shots Christopher. You don't need a fluffer with that palate of color. The second pic is my favorite. Love that Zebrinus. So stately.
I doubt it would make in this heat!!!
I've taken with grasses lately. I think they are so pretty. I have Shenandoah & a cord grass. I don't know just how the cord is going to react here so I've got it in a pot. I did put Shenandoah in a whiskey barrel with mums & echanacea.{sp} Looks pretty good.

Siria said...

Your pictures are just beautiful. I too love that second photo and I wouldn't worry about not having a "fluffer" as there are so many gorgeous things to see that you would never notice if there are any brown spots! Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Anonymous said...

Christopher~~ Thank you for IDing the plumes. I have a few miscanthus that bloom but are more of a buff than this awesome purple. I have 'Zebrinus' too -- new this year. I'll be watching for it. ... Your photos are fabulous. The second one is the better of the two, in my opinion. I love the soft textures and colors. No fluffer needed. :]

Frances said...

I didn't know that about the fluffers. No wonder my photos don't look like theirs. (I believe there are more reasons for that too.) Your look fabulous. I wondered about the red in the background, it will make for some nice icy winter shots too.
Frances

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Hmmmmm I thought a fluffer was the person that plumped your pillow and turned down the covers for you right before you go to bed. tee hee...

Your pictures are wonderful. You do your own fluffing just right.

chuck b. said...

I'm sure there are more winners in that set of 25. Personally, if I wanted to see pictures of fluffed gardens, I'd read garden magazines. But I don't.

Teresa said...

Great photos but I especially like the second one. what a wonderful mix of colors.

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Lovely pictures and thanks for letting us know about "fluffers." Sometimes Mark will pick out dead leaves or do a bit of cleanup but he really likes messy shots and lots of dead and dying things. We are always arguing about how cleaned up the garden should look in pictures. Of course, our garden is small and we tend to do a lot of tight shots which makes it easier.