Thursday, August 29, 2019

Roadside Weed Flowers

The character of the roadside flower bed has changed significantly over the last ten years as the grasses began to dominate the whole space. The ironweed moved in on its own.



















I reclaimed the little bit of space left from the chaos that took over and simplified it with two species of aster. They are off to a good start. Next year I hope they are bigger. How long and if it will stay simple is another matter.




















The passersby would never know there is a vegetable garden in there. It looks more like a colorful weed patch.




















Walking along the byway I noticed an open window on the Angelica. Most people would be moving too fast to see it.





















There is a whacked hillside in a neighborhood I frequent that has the best collection of native weed flowers all season long. Most of them are less common in these parts. I have gathered seed on a number of occasions.



















I toss seeds. The competition, climate and elevation decides who can germinate and thrive. It can take years before I know something got added to the wild cultivated gardens.




















Some weed flowers live in the shade. Doll's Eyes, Actaea pachypoda, is more about the seeds. I found another one last week living in a danger zone that needs to be relocated. It's on the list.





















My list has been too long of late. Too many things need doing for my comfort level. I much prefer doing when it isn't needed. For now I come home and amble for a bit and pretend I don't have a list.


1 comment:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am expert at ignoring that list.