Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Acquisitioned

I have scheduled myself to work for my clients two days a week as a minimum. Between the four properties this represents, I could and do work a bit more. Today I was at the flower bed restoration and reduction project for Client #2. This garden is being reduced in size by 50%. The idea is to make it more manageable for part time gardening. The rest will be turned over to the lawnmower dude.

The Lupines in this garden let go, are just beginning to bloom. They are pretty big plants. The top of the foliage is about two feet. These are the real thing, not the southern replacement, Baptisia. I may be able to grow both.

Sadly there were four offspring of these Lupines in the soon to be lawn.



So I decided to move them.



To my garden across the street.



The skies were getting dark and rolling thunder rumbled close by. Right after I finished planting the new Lupines it began to spit rain. By the time I got to the house the skies opened up. It poured. It hailed a little. There was a lot of lightning. The new Lupines got a good deep drink.



There is still a lot of slope to cover. I have been eyeing this thick patch of Iris along the stream in the upper sunny utility meadow.



When it is done blooming, I think I will acquisition some of it too.

4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

That blue iris is gorgeous. You definitely need some for your garden.

I just love lupine but it doesn't grow well here. Maybe it gets too hot during summer.

I will never forget seeing a moose eating lupine by the roadside in Maine. Every time I see pictures of lupine I think of this magical moment of seeing my first moose.

Frances, said...

Hi Christopher, great job with the lupine. Those iris should help you fill the space quickly, they spread and can be divided every year, then yanked out when you want something else with no regrets. Are there more goodies that you can save from the garden downsizing? We have tried the lupines here without success, lucky you. Can't wait for your stone post and thanks for the azalea photo above, my favorite flower.
Frances

lisa said...

Nice save with the lupines! I'd bet you can grow baptisia as well, I grow a yellow cultivar in my zone 4 gardens that I bought from Plant Delights. It's come back great for about 3 years. The purple iris is definately tough, I transplanted some of mine along the riverbank here. It has survived cold, snow, "ice shoves" (big chunks of ice pushing along the bank as the river thaws, scraping as they go), and even being completely under water until just last week!

Christopher C. NC said...

That blue iris is gorgeous and the foliage gives it more substance as a plant than the bearded iris.

I should be able to collect seed of both the Lupine and Baptisia in late summer. I hope the Baptisia at Client #1's is a purple one.