Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Another Row To Hoe

This will be the biggest roadside vegetable garden in quite a few years. Age and the distance from the house had been shrinking the garden down to a few tomatoes, cucumbers and squash. If needed, the east end, another fourty by twenty foot space can still be reclaimed. For now it will remain in wildflowers. Before I go whole hog, I want to see what challenges I will be facing.

This new row had been planted with roses that were heeled in from their removal when putting in my driveway. They were crushed and driven over during the winter when the utility poles and new electric lines were installed. I waited to see if anything was going to emerge from the roots. Nada.













All the available space had been planted and a desire for winter squash ended up with two six packs arriving home from a shopping trip.

Rain most of the day delayed cabin construction so I attended to the vegetable garden. The new row was shovel weeded and tilled. I did rescue then divide and transplant what I think is a Echinacea purpurea, Purple Coneflower into the beds along my drive.

When I planted all the veges a few days ago, every hole I dug with the trowel ( the soil was like butter ) was chock full of worms under the mulch. Tilling this new row I did not see any worms. They must like the mulch. Think of all the worm poop that is going to happen around the vegetables. Now I just need more wood chip mulch.

There are some advantages to having a sharecropper next door and to being the sharecropper next door.

4 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Ah, shucks, I thought I was going to read about another gardener who actually uses a hoe. But you used a shovel and a trowel.

Is hoeing a long lost art? A dying skill?

Regardless, that is a big garden and a good looking garden.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Christopher C. NC said...

It is still early in the season Carol. I may whip out my hoe yet.

chuck b. said...

You made some kind of structure--I need help with structures. I love all your orange flags. You are so organized.

Frances, said...

Hi Christopher, every time you show your veggie garden it is bigger. Will you be selling out of the back of your pickup at the farmer's market? ;-> Better work on that accent if so. It looks great and the worms sound like a wonderful bonus. Hooray for worms, though sorry about the smashed roses.
Frances