Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Trilliums Blush

High Spring has definitely arrived down in Clyde. I spent two days weeding and mulching at Client #1's and will go back again tomorrow. All of a sudden things have begun to grow quickly. I think it is time to go at least once a week now.

I was almost too tired to wander into the forest when I got home, but there was something in there I needed to find.













One of the things I found was that the last winter blast had actually damaged some of the native plants. What I think may be the emerging Ageratina altissima, White Snakeroot, the Stinging Nettle, Urtica dioica and many of the new unfurling fern fronds had been frozen back.














The Trilliums are reaching their peak bloom and the older ones have begun to blush pink.















It's like having two different flowers in the same plant.













There are all kinds of Polygonatum type plants in the forest. This one might be ten inches tall at most. I wonder how many species of those might exist here.













This is what I was looking for, the much less common, here anyway, Plain Green Jack. Many of these had been zapped by the ice and snow last week. More are still emerging fortunately. I may still find some new kinds.

















The cold damage from last week was species specific more than micro-climate specific. Some things were not bothered at all, while others lost blooms and/or leaves.













Over all it is barely discernable. Only a prying eye would notice. The big losers were a lot of the deciduous Azaleas. Their blooms were lost for this year.













Each new spring will be different. My first has been pretty good so far.

7 comments:

chuck b. said...

So the native azaleas have to go without sex this year? Did they have any flowers before the freeze? If it was just the petals that got frozen, maybe ovaries can still ripen seeds. I guess you know you won't have a cold snap like that every year or else the native azaleas would flower very differently. Or, it's global climage change and all your azaleas are doomed. Let's not think about it.

Christopher C. NC said...

Like people, the native azaleas sex lives will be quite varied this year. Some were in bloom, some were in expanding bud and others were still tightly closed. The ones in bloom or just about to, were froze completely. Many had their tiny leaves singed a bit if they had begun coming out.

The Rhododendrons bloom later than the Azaleas, so when the Azaleas crap out we still have the Rhodos. Still waiting for them now.

Frances, said...

Should we be looking for seed pods on the azaleas? We escaped any damage and I would be glad to save some for you. I have a couple of true species, not hybrids, if you are more interested in those. Or you too Chuck b. I have never had any luck with getting them to germinate, but really don't give it my best effort. I love all your jacks, they are something we don't have here in my garden, although they are plentiful in the wild. Same with the trilliums.

chuck b. said...

It's heartwarming to hear the Erica family plants have varied prospects for sex in '08.

Christopher C. NC said...

I saw seed pods on some of the Azaleas They must hang on for a while. They couldn't have set seed last year with the Great Freeze unless they finished blooming before hand. I figure it is best to do shrubs like that from cuttings. That chore is on the list for when it is really warm for good.

Do you need some Trilliums and Jacks for your garden Frances?

Yes Chuck the bees are a buzzing and the butterflies are out. One azalea looks to have a few flowers in reserve and is trying to bloom again.

Frances, said...

Was my comment that transparent? Yes, yes, yes to the trilliums and jacks. I will contact you about our upcoming trip to NC. Thanks.

Christopher C. NC said...

Wonderful! Frances. I very much look forward to a visit.