Thursday, May 8, 2008

Squeezed In

There is always room for one more thing. It isn't a bad idea either to wind the bulb season down with some late bloomers. Ornithogalum nutans fits the bill. It does have oddly gray/green colored petals, but hey it's different.















Camassia quamash also blooms. The wait for the Alliums to fully open continues.
















The San Francisco branch of OutsideClyde got some attention in between cabin building activities. Three types of seeds from a box of goodies were sown. Sea Holly, Eryngium giganteum (a coveted plant), Clematis stans, and Dierama pulcherrimum will join the existing Chicago, Tennessee and Buffalo additions to OutsideClyde. Still to be planted is a wonderful Dahlia 'Madame Simone Stappers' hailing from San Francisco. I'm supposed to wait until after our last frost date of May 15th. I am trying to be patient. Maybe I can wait another week.

It will be quite some time before my own garden has plants that are squeezed in. Even then I may not be patient enough to wait until after a frost date. How could it possibly freeze again? How could it dare to?













Look there is a bathroom and kitchen in my cabin now. The floor joists for the loft are up. The front joist of the loft is part of the roof structure. The roof will be built on the ground in two sections, then lifted into place by a crane.













I think this is Erigeron annuus. I found this in the Kingdom of Madison. Here it is being pulled as a weed. Now that I see it blooming, one has to wonder what determines weediness up here?















The Hyacinthoides hispanica were some of the first foliage to appear in late winter and the last of the bulbs to bloom. Great swaths of them carpet the hillside.


















They come in three colors, pink, white and blue.













The Trail of Spanish Bluebells winds around a mountaintop.


















At the close of another spring day.

3 comments:

chuck b. said...

We have native Erigeron glauca out here that looks very similar. Many people would consider it to be yet another ratty looking native, but I loves it and have two patches in me garden and can't wait for it to blooms.

Frances, said...

OH NO, fleabane! Don't make the mistake I did, thinking it was attractive, which it is, and should be left to grow, no no no. The trouble with it is that it, throws seeds like no plant I have ever grown, the rosettes grow quickly and in such numbers that they will smother anything else trying to grow in its vicinity, even large established perennials will be squeezed out. And little volunteers of desirables, forget it, not with those numbers. It you have a wild area, I guess you whole hill is fairly wild, it would be okay, but I have seen it completely kill native ferns, something I find much more desirable. But do as you wish. The cabin is coming along splendidly, and your plant collection is growing nicely. I am jealous of those eryngiums, struggling with the seed growing of mine. I will watch to see how you do it. Those silver bells, is that what they are called, are so sweet. We planted camassia last fall, it is struggling with our drought. Too long, I know, sorry.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am glad you posted about your Camassia. I have a nice little clump of them and I had forgotten what they were.