Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hibiscus

There is something red in the barely contained organized lush.



A hibiscus. I was not fond of hibiscus on Maui. They grew to tree like proportions and were forever covered with some form of pestilence. I am of the mind that you just don't grow plants that are bug candy. There are too many horticultural choices to sentence yourself to chronic battle.



Just a bit outside of the tropics, hibiscus don't have all those sticky warty bugs attacking them in droves. And they freeze to the ground in the winter keeping them forever in a medium sized shrub form. The flowers are bigger too.



I like my hibiscus in North Carolina.

5 comments:

Pam/Digging said...

Ironic, isn't it? You move to a less friendly climate for hibiscus and find you like them better there.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Those are some huge blooms too.

chuck b. said...

Especially lovely with the rather untropical companion too.

Lola said...

Love that color combination. I have a hibiscus that blooms in the late Fall but the Winter cold knocks it down to the ground. I think last Winter got it all for sure.

Annie in Austin said...

There is something to be said for the dormant versions of flowers we love. And cold & bare is not what bugs crave.

I like my perennial hibiscus much better than the tropical kinds. The color of your hibiscus is stunning.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose