Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mulching Phlox And Rocks

By day I tend to well maintained gardens. A boulder strewn hillside planted in creeping phlox got a fresh layer of double ground hardwood mulch.



This is about half of the 80 foot long hillside. The phlox will be blooming very soon.



In the evenings I come home to the wild gardens where daffodils appear seemingly at random from the forest floor. One day they will be contained in the notion of a proper garden bed.



Chionodoxa pops out of the wakening weeds on the slope beside my driveway. I don't really see a proper garden bed there in the future. This space will always be a little on the wild side, an edited meadow you could say.



The garden to be will by nature be a blend, half civilized and half wild. It will be a bit more civilized than the wild cultivated gardens next door, I hope, but they will blend seamlessly one into the other.



By day I tend to well maintained gardens. In the evening I come home to the wild.

6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I like the wild side best. It seems more natural.

Lola said...

I too like the natural part. Love that last pic. Is it a dbl daf? Sure would like a start of it here in my garden, if you know the name.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I am appreciating the wild side more. Good thing since I have little choice in the matter.

Lola you can't grow daffodils down there, less you stick em in the refrigerator. Not really sure of the name. They came from Bulbarella. Should I send you a few?

Lola said...

Thanks Christopher, that would be wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, has the WUD shown up yet? Or is it no longer that?
Sallysmom

Nell Jean said...

In the part of lower Appalachia where I grew up, we called that phlox, 'Thrift' -- maybe because it grows best on hard red clay. Mama always gave hers some nice compost and it never thrived.

In my experience double daffodils tend to blast while in the bud stage where the weather is too warm. Some of mine made it, some not. Ice King reverts to Ice Follies here.