Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Touch Of Spring

As the cold returns.

We are back to snow in the diagnosis and lows in the mid 20's. I'm not having much faith in these predictions of snow beyond the lightest of dustings. The cold sure. They get the cold part right.

The 70 degree days in between these bouts of cold have set some things to blooming and others to swelling buds. This is always a risky time of year. More so this year after the winter that wasn't or might still be.



Back home my barren days of plotting bone structure and winter interest are coming to an end. The Lush will be awakening shortly. I went to the real nursery today because my shovel was itching to plant another drift of low mounding texture and color on the slope below the cabin, but they weren't stocked up for the spring gardening frenzy that happens in these parts. Nothing they had struck my fancy. I'm not sure what else to plant on this slope. I'll just know it when I see it.



As the baby shrubberies begin to accumulate I can see where more would fit in nicely. I know I need another clump of bamboo. There is room for more viburnums, rhododendrons and some deciduous hollies might be nice.



The first daffodils of the season have opened on the grounds of Ku'ulei 'Aina.



Let's hope any snow that might come is only a dusting. Heavy wet snows when the daffodils are this far along can break things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Has the big cherry tree come into bloom that you usually take a photo of each spring?