Thursday, March 1, 2012

Very Spring Like

Down in town it had to have been 70 degrees. Lord help me, I get hot at those temperatures now. My tropical self is no more. The bulbs were blooming. That will make up for the loss.



Last fall I planted a lot of blue hyacinth bulbs.



Last fall I planted blue pansies and plenty of poisonous daffodils too. Even with an early 70 degree spring, it was a four month wait to get to this point.



Last time I stopped in at Lowes for a $9 light bulb I noticed the nursery was open and being stocked. I had a Christmas gift card from Client #1 just waiting for this. It might not be quite so spring like on the mountain top, but it is spring like enough for planting new shrubberies.

I came home with 2 Mugo Pines, 3 Blue Star Juniper and 1 Magnolia x 'Jane'. 'Jane' is listed as hardy to zone 4 so I had to get it. You can't have a proper southern garden without a saucer magnolia. The Mugo Pines and junipers will add more evergreen repetition in the garden to be. Now I can look for some new kinds of evergreens.



One day the garden to be may look a bit more like this in the cold months of winter while waiting for spring. 'Jane' should get as large as the white flowered Magnolia stellata in this picture.



There is a chance of snow in the diagnosis for Sunday. So much for spring. The bad part of all this is I am seeing a lot of things breaking bud. Snow at 30 degrees is no big deal. A really deep freeze over several days could mean big trouble.

2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Our spring is running about like yours. Terribly warm several days then cold for several days. I just wonder what all of this see sawing will do to those tender buds. Your new purchases look good. Can't wait to see them planted.

Layanee said...

Just a hint of spring here last week and then winter decided to return. Hints of color here and there tell me that it won't be long but it may feel that way.