Thursday, October 10, 2013

Winding Down To Winter Projects

I may have plucked a few now and again and weeded around some of the baby shrubberies, but there has been no serious weeding in a couple months.





















The garden becoming has just been allowed to be.



























Some seed heads have been flung. A few bulbs were planted. A half dozen or more perennial wild flowers were moved out of the roadside vegetable garden. There are more that need to be moved. A volunteer hydrangea in the dung pile got planted. None of that caused much disturbance.

The garden becoming has just been allowed to be.





















There is nothing much that needs doing now, but to watch it fade away. The next big chore will be the chop and drop of all the dead stalks left standing after several rounds of winter get a good start on the process. That can begin in late January or February when proper weathers permit.





















I'm thinking about my winter projects now. Winter projects for two houses. I have a list.

I really want to make a push on finishing the two dry stack retaining walls for the basement patio and get a load of gravel in for the floor base. My sketchy wall that a couple of internet landscape architects dissed and said would never stand is still standing five years later. The only movement has been on the top course from the cats running, lounging and leaping on it. I want to mortar that top course in place. A few rotten rocks have crumbled. Some chinking stones will fix that. The upper wall under the cabin needs to be topped off. Overall, my walls are standing the test of time.





















I skipped work kind work today after I went to a peony farm and picked up some peonies for a client. I took Bulbarella with me because I knew she would find it interesting and we took the slow scenic route back home. Then I power washed the service entrance stairs and the deck of the front porch to get them ready for color staining. My decks and stair treads are going to be Olympic Stain 'Midnight Blue'. I'm opting for a darker color where dirty boots will tread.

The cozy cabin is turning into a painted lady. I would like to get this project done before the snow flies.





















Because my winter project list is actually kind of long.

Word on the street is that the wild cultivated gardens are going to be on the Haywood County Master Gardener Tour next near. I may do a bit of extra weeding. Beyond that it is out of my hands. The gardens will be what they will be.

I sure don't want anyone to come around and think, Well bless their hearts. Even white trash can have a garden. All the rubbish has got to go. Half finished projects need finishing. The domiciles need to be whipped into shape. Good thing I got started on this six years ago.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

♥A Painted Lady for SURE.♥

It will take some arranging for us to get there for the Haywood County Master Gardener Tour, so (though not a Master Gardener) I sure hope you'll give me a heads up about the date...

How I would enjoy seeing "the garden becoming" in person!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

They will be delighted with your garden. It just keeps getting better and better.

Christopher C. NC said...

Rebecca the master gardeners just host the tour. It is open to all. It is set for June 21, 2014 as far as I know.

Lisa the garden is getting better for sure. I don't consider June 21st a peak bloom time though. It is in the Lull like you saw.

beverly said...

Just like I never clean my house till I am going to have company, being on the garden tour will work wonders!