Sunday, April 4, 2021

After Doom

The only thing that got covered was the weeping Japanese maple on the shores of Turd Blossom Lake. The sheet blew off and the expanding leaf buds look nipped. Two other JM that were leafing out got zapped.














Doom did not turn out nearly as bad as I expected with three nights below freezing and a low of 17. Perkiness is shot of course. The daylily and iris took a hit. That can affect bloom quality for this year. Time will tell.

The warm came back for Easter.













The roadside grasses got cut down. The voles ate pretty much all of the Aromatic Aster up there. That truly annoys me. Damn varmints!














Plenty daffodils remain. Plenty daffodils had the flower stems snapped. Even unfrozen, they won't be standing back up.


























The early trilliums were still there.
















The garden will grow on. It always does. In abundance.


2 comments:

Gypsy said...

Hi Christopher: Good to hear that the recent freeze wasn't too damaging. Although any damage is always sad to see. I only covered one plant; my Acanthus Summer Beauty. That's my baby and I wasn't letting all that new growth get zapped. There was some expected damage to my Salvia elegans, the early iris lost their perkiness and are a wait and see, and all my Lady in Red Hydrangea suffered but those will come back albeit with reduced budding. Everything else did remarkedly well. Sometimes I feel I worry needlessly but my plants show me they are very resilient. Cheers to the upcoming warmer weather, Gypsy

Christopher C. NC said...

The garden grows on Gypsy. Fortunately fatalities are rare. Imperfection is a given even when not wanted.