Sunday, May 23, 2021

A Random Moment Of Perfection

The first thing I did yesterday morning was walk up to the roadside vegetable garden to fetch the critter cam. The minute I start planting up there the digger arrives and starts pecking holes all over the garden. I suppose I should be happy the target is worms and grubs not the plants, but things can get roughed up and it is most annoying.

The first thing I noticed was the red poppy had popped into bloom.














On the first day of opening when all goes well, a flower can be a thing of perfection.















It was so perfect, I had to go back and get the camera before life changed things.














There were 108 pictures on the critter cam. The motion detector is so good passing traffic set it in motion. I'll have to point it in the other direction next time. Finally at 5:30 in the morning the digger arrived. A raccoon as suspected. Damn varmint! I had sprayed the entire garden with cayenne pepper water the evening before. Hopefully it got a snoot full.

The poppy remained perfect.














I spent several hours editing in the sunny utility meadow and the slope below the roadside vegetable garden before the day's main activity got underway. Lots more clematis vine sprouts than I expected. The clematis is a tenacious foe.

It was time for a good mowing.














And the maintenance gardener was pleased when it was all done.














The heiau got its first haircut and the Solomon's Plume has come into bloom.














Freshly mowed paths truly do wonders in the wild chaos of an unconventional garden.














The first mowing of the Great Lawn is always a bit difficult. So many good plants live there.














The larger ones like the Persicaria polymorpha, the Giant Fleece Flower and the grasses are easy enough to mow around.














I couldn't bring myself to take down the Mayapple mixed with lots of trillium just yet. That can wait a few more weeks. The Great Lawn is big enough for now.














Perfection? Close enough. The maintenance gardener was pleased,


No comments: