Sunday, May 2, 2021

In The Deep Forest With Trilliums

I found a moment after a day of mowing














To wander off














To the deep forest. Hepatica and Wild Ginger grow there.














Along with thousands of white trilliums.













There are at least a dozen colonies, all in full bloom.














None of which looked nibbled on.














Perhaps it is the poisonous Delphinium tricorne growing among them that keeps the nibblers away.














The trilliums are so many I can see them from my driveway.














The geraniums were there.














And the caged orchid set seed.














I will have to go back for another visit to see the bloom about to happen.














Squaw Root, Conopholis americana was up.














The strange life of a parasite.














Out of the deep forest and into more sunshine it is time for the Spanish Bluebells.














Acres of blue, pink and white bluebells.














If you want to see bluebells, now would be the time to visit the wild cultivated gardens.


3 comments:

Gypsy said...

Hi Christopher: Well, you certainly do have lots of Trilliums. Lucky you. So beautiful to see those little white flowers sprinkled throughout the forest floor. Here's a question for you. The geranium you have pictured grows on my wooded property, too. Are they easily transplanted? There are several on my path down to the creek and I would like to move them out of the way. It would make walking the path easier and now that we've completed construction on our new garage, I would like to "reforest" the surrounding area naturally. If they are easily transplanted, when would be a good time to move them? Anything you could share would be greatly appreciated. Gypsy

Christopher C. NC said...

Gypsy I have never tried to transplant the native Geranium maculatum. It has come as a hitch hiker with other transplants. The garden variety hardy geraniums do transplant easy enough, so I imagine the native one will as well. Early fall would be a better time to do it than now and be sure to get a good root ball along with the main crown.

Gypsy said...

Christopher: I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work, well, it won't be the first time I did something that wasn't successful :-) Thanks. Gypsy