Saturday, May 8, 2021

The Phacelia I Have

I decided to make an attempt to identify the other white phacelia. So I wandered slowly next door to have a look. There was some Dwarf Crested Iris along the way.














One of the many Bird's Foot Violets, Viola pedata I relocated to the wild cultivated gardens seems to have landed it its happy place. All the others have disappeared after a season or two. Now this one needs to self sow.














This is Phacelia purshii which has started to bloom in the sunny utility meadow. It will cover the mountain top in a carpet of blue like the bluebells do in another week. I introduced it into my part of the gardens and it is slowly spreading. It tends to be an exponential procedure.













The other unknown white phacelia lives with the bluebells.














Lots of bluebells.














Its numbers are far fewer. The plant itself is smaller and the bloom less generous.














Upon closer examination and reading in the wildflower books, I do believe this is Phacelia dubia var. dubia, the Appalachian or Small Flowered Phacelia. There is no fringe on the petals at all. The gentleman requesting seed of Phacelia fimbriata may be disappointed.













But that's the phacelia I got, along with the biennial Phacelia bipinnatifida. The Big Rock is currently covered with phacelia, Dame's Rocket, sedum and some brassica mustard kind weed














The bluebells are also well represented in the sunny utility meadow.














Button came along for the walk. I help keep the varmints away.














Button with Bluebells.














And a flower carpet to wander.














That's the way it is in the wild cultivated gardens.


No comments: