Monday, November 15, 2021

A Bloom Day Stroll In Cold Sunshine.

It was too cold to work last Saturday so I stayed home and looked out from my front porch. A deceptive sunshine ruled the day. The wind chilly wasn't lying.














I had spotted my target for November's Bloom Day a few days ago. The sun was out. I was at home for the event. So I waited for that short window of 'as warm as it is going to get' and went out for a stroll.













It wasn't too cold for the Witch Hazels, Hamamelis virginiana, to be out, not with this sunshine and temperatures above freezing.














My minimum operating temperature is 40 degrees. If there isn't going to be enough time above that, I stay home. That doesn't mean I can't go for a walk in the gardens to visit the Witch Hazels for Bloom Day. The native Witch Hazel is the last bloom of the season until the snowdrops next year. Not bad. The snowdrops wake up in January.














While I was out there during the best part of the day I put a cage around the Florida Torreya taxifolia. Just in case. This is an endangered plant that got stranded in Florida after the last ice age, only 10,000 years ago, that is being assisted in migration back north. One found its way to me. A little research tells me they are already being cultivated successfully in Asheville and in Waynesville at 3600 feet. Will it survive at 4000 feet? Will it get eaten by varmints? Good luck little one.














The full naked forest is almost here, not many leaves left. Some things last and some things don't. Nothing lasts forever.














The killing frosts arrived with thick drizzle and cold sunshine. No snow. That will be along shortly as the Under Garden of winter reappears in a frozen meadow.














This evening a vibration of Monet spoke up, it's Bloom Day. The Last Blue Aster On The Mountain.


2 comments:

Arun Goyal said...

Beautiful post ! It would be my pleasure if you participate in my Gardening link up party here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2021/11/garden-affair-lycoris-lily.html

betty-NZ said...

You have lots of beauty to see! It's quite lovely to see.

Feel free to share at My Corner of the World