Thursday, March 23, 2023

The End Of Perky

Testing, testing, testing. A diagnosis of lung cancer has been confirmed. I won't be doing a cancer journey blog. It may get mentioned from time to time. I suspect the number of posts will dwindle since walking the gardens is difficult when you can't breathe. One more test to go and the first appointment with an oncologist is on April 7th. The waiting for some actual treatment is not fun.

The last two rounds of cold in the teens and low twenties did very little freezer burn. Daffodils like rhododendron curl up in the cold and that has a tendency to snap the flowers stems making it impossible for them to stand back up. The show of perky daffodils is mostly over. There are many more yet to bloom, so it is not totally over.














Spring continues on. The early trilliums have started to rise and they were unfazed by the frigid temperatures.














The Trout Lilies also ignored the cold as they must, being one of the very first spring ephemeral wildflowers. Their spread through the garden has been dramatic.














The snowdrops have been multiplying abundantly too. The original clumps are getting fatter and seedlings are appearing some good distance away. My heiau may be about as big as it is going to get. Like sands in the hourglass, these are the rocks of the heiau.














Some damn varmint dug up the chionodoxa bulbs right after I planted them. I wasn't sure how many would show up this spring. It looks like I got a good take. This isn't the more prolific multiplying plain species though. Maybe they will surprise me.














This is what I like, when one becomes many. Trillium luteum keeps expanding.


11 comments:

beverly said...

Christopher;

So very sorry to hear your cancer news. I am a retired pathologist so I get it. It is so very good though that your garden has come so far these last (10? more?) years that there is lots to enjoy as you wander as far as you are able on any given day. Maybe you should indulge in a really nice telephoto lens! And more containers!

Barbara H. said...

Not the news I wanted to read and I know it's not the news you wanted to hear. I hope there are some good options for you. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Tracy said...

I'm so sorry to hear this and wish you a full recovery.

vickie said...

I was so hoping this was not going to be the diagnosis. You have many, manly people thinking of you and wishing you the best. I will look forward to reading your blog as often as you can write and photograph for it.

Vickie

Christopher C. NC said...

Thank you all for the kind words. Hopefully the oncologist can offer some improvement on the state of things since right now they are not good. It was shocking how fast my breath vanished.

beverly said...

Christopher;

I am guessing that your sudden difficulty breathing is related to the partial collapse of your lung and the fluid accumulated around the lung. They have some pretty good drugs for lung cancer these days, depending on the mutations in the tumor cells (all that testing) so hopefully they can shrink the tumor and improve your breathing situation. The crime in my book is that you have to wait so long for an appointment, but that seems to be the state of American medicine these days. We will wait with you.

C. C. said...

I'm so very sorry. Sending positive thoughts for healing your way.

MaryLou said...

I'm a long time reader but I don't know if I've ever commented to tell you how much I've enjoyed your writing, your photography and your thoughts about gardening and to thank you for taking the time to share all that. I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and wishing and hoping for the best for you.

RobinL said...

I’m so sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. Been there, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you, praying for you and asking of the universe. We and the universe need you. So, get well.

Ppppppp said...

I am thinking of you in Emily Dickinson's orchard where the Bobolink is the Chorister and the Orchard is the Dome.
You have been an inspiration for me for years. And I pray you will be for years more.