Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Another Siberian Winter

The low was 8. The high if you can call it that, a whopping 13.8 by 2:30 in the afternoon. Chances for anything higher are slim. And it is still snowing. It ebbs and flows, but it does not stop.



















Last year there were two months of snow pack beginning with the Great Crushing Snow of December 18th. It seems we are off to an earlier start this winter.




















There are about seven inches of snow on the ground now and I don't see much in the way of meltage in the extended diagnosis. I best get used to this.




















The usual suspects at the resident gardeners house have frozen. The hot water spigot in the kitchen sink - I can't leave that dripping - and the shower drain in the downstairs shower. It's only a matter of time before I need to start collecting the furnace's water exhaust in a bucket inside.

I worry about the cozy cabin's plumbing. It is in a similar situation, water and drain lines are in a floor well above ground. There is better insulation in the cabin's floor and fewer cracks and crevices I hope. But unrelenting cold is an evil foe.

At least it will be cheery inside when the world outside is Siberian.




















The roadside flower bed continues to entertain




















As the world turns still.



















Could this be the end of this round of snow and maybe some sun to warm up the roads?



















I certainly hope so. I've run out of baked goods. Tomorrow I must go.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Only a smidgen warmer here in Greensboro. I have to leave the kitchen faucet dripping my house was built on a slab and they would have to jackhammer the floor to fix the pipes!

Lola said...

Boy, that is cold. Not that bad here. We are to have lower temps in the morning than this.
I do hope you get some warmer days before the hard winter comes.
Do stay warm.

Siria said...

I won't tell you what our low (or high) was today. Leave it to say it is much colder than normal! It sure it beautiful there! Baked goods are important. Maybe you need to learn to bake them in instances like this! I will be glad to pass along a few very easy and great recipes. I'll have to bake you something the next time I see you. I believe chocolate is in order! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, Christopher, those frozen pipes just won't get healed, no matter how much you do surgery on them. I do hope the pipes in the cabin fare better. At least you know where to look for the problems now, as if that is any consolation. It is beautiful. I love the artwork! :-)
Frances

Christopher C. NC said...

Karen I used plex type water pipe which has proven to be less likely to break when freezing. Still fixing a leak under the house would be easier than jack hammering a concrete foundation.

The hard winter coming Lola? Yikes!

Siria if the weathers stays like this all winter I could start baking myself. Instead I am grouting the tile counter tops the building contractor never finished in his own house today while I wait for the meager sun to warm the roads.

Frances next winter in the cabin will tell all. One thing I do know is I should easily be able to find a way to force warm air into the box that frames all the plumbing under the cabin through an extra water line hole that was not used. I can do that from inside the plumbing closet.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Looking at the reflection of the outside in the picture makes me feel like I am on the inside of a room looking out. Nice image. I hope your pipes thaw out soon. Darned the luck having to deal with that all winter. I used to live in an old house that required heat tape on some pipes on outside walls and I kept the ole hair dryer on standby to thaw the pipes. Not a happy memory. They usually froze at the most inoppertune times.