Sunday, December 5, 2010

In The Light Of A Snowy Day

It started snowing late last night after a fairly vicious storm and hasn't stopped yet. I was afraid to walk down to the cozy cabin this morning fearful of what I might find. It had been ugly out there for hours. Would that hound be frozen stiff on the front porch by the time I got there?


























Much to my surprise he was still there and in a very chipper mood. He spent the night inside the box. I fed and watered him, set out a blanket and tied him up so he wouldn't follow me back to the house. I planned to call the pound. But I found a name and number on a metal plate on his collar while tying him up and called the hunter. He was already out driving around in search of his hound and wasn't two minutes away.

RC is back with his hunter.


























In better light yesterday's odds and ends can be seen. Towel racks, two 18 inch ones as instructed.


























Glass knobs and pulls as somewhat requested by me. The picture does not do the sparkle they make any justice.


























Self portrait of a snow hermit. That white plumbing vent pipe over my head is one odd end that needs covering.




















After the hound was tended to, phone and cable cover plates were wired on. The trim sits in the living room, patiently waiting for some decent weathers.




















Outside it snowed




















And snowed




















And kept on snowing.




















I hope some interior lights and the thermoplastic kitchen back splash arrive soon. I'm running out of non-staining type processes to do.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful the hunter has retrieved his dog. But thank you, Chris, for tending him until the hunter came.
Sallsymom

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

For years, I've been thinking about doing what you're doing. I want to build a small house in the woods. I want to do most of it myself. I've got the designs in my head. A few times I've drawn out variations. I'm living vicariously through you.

Lola said...

Bless you Christopher for your gentle heart & I'm glad the dog is with his owner.
The snow is pretty but I know it's very cold there.
Do stay warm.

Christopher C. NC said...

Sallysmom I am so thankful the hunter had a number on the hounds collar and I did not have to call the pound. This may also put in a good word for me out there.

Tom it is certainly doable. It just required a good deal of support and greater amounts of patience. The small house movement is gaining momentum. I found the Tiny House Blog the other day. I bought the plans for the cabin online for $125.

Lola it seems caring for lost and dumped animals is part of my life up here.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I hope the hunter fattens up that hound. I wonder how long he had been lost. I wonder if he got lost on a hunt and has been roaming for several days to get that skinny. You are a good man to take care of the lost and hungry.

Those little details of the CC are looking good.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! So happy to hear "RC" was re-united with his owner! You were so good to take care of him. You must have a "beacon" on the cozy cabin that alerts those lost animals in your neck of the woods to come to you.

I love those finishing touches in your bathroom and especially the self portrait of you swimming in the glorious blue waters. :)

Stay warm!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I love a happy ending. It was so good of you to take care of that poor dog. I hope the hunter emplants a chip in the dogs ear. Collars can come off & it's lucky that one didn't. Your woods look magical in the snow.

Randy Emmitt said...

Christopher,

I wanted to ask about your glass block shower. Did you use the vinyl strips you silicone the blocks to, then grout it after building it? I have used the white mortar and it is a pain. Bidding a job with a 6 ft wall and opening for a door.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I hope that hunter feeds his dog too, but most of the ones that end up here are skin and bones. Maybe when they find me they are just done wandering.

Siria something is going on up here. I've been getting about two dogs per year it seems. Is it just me in this location or do other folks have this problem?

Barbara I like this ending better than the pound coming up and taking him away.

Randy we did the traditional mortar method with the glass block. It has a vinyl track on the shower pan and the wall. Each course had an L shaped anchor screwed to the wall and placed in the mortar joint and then the tiny rebar placed in each course. After the wall was in place I went back and did a finish up/ aesthetic filling of mortar in all the joints. The same mortar mix is the grout.

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

I've known about Tumbleweed for a few years. I love their ideas.

Cindy, MCOK said...

Christopher, you are such a good man and friend of animals. Love the self-portrait!

Lola said...

I meant to ask what the size is for your sink cabinet? I really like it.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola the bathroom sink and cabinet are the 30 inch size. The cabinet is a Home Depot in stock item. The sink is Pegasus special order from the Depot.