Saturday, December 18, 2010

Item By Item

One ceiling fan done. It would be nice if I could turn on the switch now and watch it light up and spin around.




















But I will have to wait until every last fixture is installed and every appliance is hooked up to call for a final inspection.


























Then I can start turning things on one circuit breaker at a time, thinking please, please, let it all work and no sparks or smoke either please.


























It was tolerable outside so one exterior light got hooked up. It is not as flush to the wall as I had in my online minds eye. Part of that is the weather proof exterior outlet box mounted on the wall and not recessed in to it. The other is the light itself which will make a cool sunburst pattern of light through the slotted cylinder behind the main light. I think if I just paint the outlet box gray it will be less obtrusive.


























The kitchen back splash has commenced. The gas range and an exhaust hood go in on the left side. I'll need to go up another six inches of back splash to meet the exhaust hood. The counter top will go on last and I won't have to worry about a seam where the back splash and counter top meet. The counter top will have its own short back splash and will cover right over the bottom of the thermoplastic panels.




















I keep plugging away one item at a time until I feel like calling it a day. I'll be ready for appliances after Christmas. A short stretch of tolerable weather will be needed to get them down the driveway. I need some of that to finish the trim and the exterior lights as well.




















Now mind you there is still a substantial list of odds and ends and some major painting that needs doing. Painting doesn't need to be done for inspection though and can wait for actual nice weathers closer to spring.




















Spring. I will be living in my own house in the spring.

6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This spring will be special for you. I bet you can't wait. The CC is coming together beautifully.

Anonymous said...

The last photo is absolutely amazing!
Sallysmom

Lola said...

Looking good, looking good. Not long now.
The sky pic is unusual but I've seen one like that before. I think it has it's own beauty.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher ~ I love your outside light fixture and your fan. Your cabin is looking awesome! That last photograph of the sky is beautiful!

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I wonder if moving out of the luxury basement accommodations might just freak me out momentarily before the thrill sets in.

Sallysmom it is amazing how the sky turns moment by moment when the sun is setting and winter has this whole new angle effect.

Lola the sun was shining down on top of the lower clouds for that nice effect.

Siria the back porch light and a larger ten inch diameter light for the basement patio ceiling are the same as the front porch light. It will be fun to see this sunburst pattern when it lights up. The ceiling fan for the main room is the same just on a 36" downrod instead of flush to the ceiling.

Anonymous said...

Wow, an actual move in date (or, season)!! Yet another reason to eagerly anticipate spring's arrival! That will be the culmination of much, much work and a just reward.
Slog on!

bev