Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Lovely Day For An Excavation

The day started sunny and at zero. I suppose between ten and twelve inches of snow fell in this storm. More settled on the shelf of the gravel drive in the blowing wind. None of it was going to melt anytime soon.



















I clearly remember being trapped last year when it was time to drive to Florida for Christmas and the ordeal of clearing the driveway with a flat head shovel. I have a snow shovel now. Still I don't want anything like a repeat of last year and with all the winter precipitation in the near diagnosis, it's best I start shoveling now.


























It's a nice long driveway that makes for great privacy from the scenic byway.


























The weather stayed sunny. The wind stayed mild. The temperature rose briefly before giving up shortly after noon.


























Strangely it seems easier to lean into a zen of snow shoveling than one with raking leaves. About three hours later I breached the hard packed snow plow pile at the end of the drive and connected to the road.


























The question now becomes will this thin remaining layer melt and stay gone before I need to leave for Christmas or will I have to shovel the gravel drive again before then?


























I see more shoveling in my future.

7 comments:

Lola said...

That was a lot of the white stuff & a lot of shoveling. I remember how much you did last yr. I sure hope it's not like that this yr.
Take care. Stay warm.

Randy Emmitt said...

Christopher,
Unlike you we live at the bottom of the hill. The year that we got 20 inches in one storm, it was 9 days before I could drive out. Our road is about 1/3 mile long. Good luck and have a fun Christmas.

Carol Michel said...

We had a pretty sunny day here, too, and my south facing drive, which I had mostly cleared of snow, was "bone dry" when I got home this evening.

Siria said...

Oh my! That is a lot of snow!!! Is there any way you can leave your car up at the road?

Anonymous said...

I would have to say, don't put the shovel away. At all. Or your winter gear. Your predictions about our trip may come true, but we are going anyway. Wish us luck and for the temps to stay above freezing.

Gail said...

More shoveling for sure Christopher~I was thinking what a marvelous cardio workout you get! Living on your Mountain there's no need for a gym membership~gail

Anonymous said...

Wow, watch out for that back! I can't believe you did all that - although there wasn't much choice, huh. Yes, keep the shovel handy!

bev